Tues, Jan. 9, '24 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a soup for supper tonight. It's based on @CharlieD's recipe for solyanka:

Oh my, we both really enjoyed that. This soup is surprisingly tasty. I made a one quarter portion and we have enough left for another meal. Warm, tasty, comforting on a very wintry day. I served the soup with nine grain bread, sour cream, and lemon wedges. I forgot the dill. Oops

Solyanka inspired soup.jpg

Chef John's Pancetta-Wrapped Leek Gratin - and this time I did use pancetta and not prosciutto. :mrgreen: I just made one large leek - at the whole thing, got a little carried away with the cayenne on the bottom but it was super scrumptious. Will do it like that again for myself, but maybe not for guests.

We were going to have homemade vegetable soup, but we kept losing power because of high winds until about 1am. I ended up heating up a can of chicken noodle soup around 8pm during one of the periods we had power. Vegetable soup is on the stove now.

I made a soup for supper tonight. It's based on @CharlieD's recipe for solyanka:

Oh my, we both really enjoyed that. This soup is surprisingly tasty. I made a one quarter portion and we have enough left for another meal. Warm, tasty, comforting on a very wintry day. I served the soup with nine grain bread, sour cream, and lemon wedges. I forgot the dill. Oops

View attachment 67501
Gorgeous.

I should also mention (and forgot to do it myself - I'd written the note on the back of the recipe :glare:)
when preparing the pancetta wrap leeks - especially for guests - remove several of the outer layers so that they are not so fibrous and difficult to eat. In his video Chef John reminds you to serve with steak knives. As delicious as they are, those outer leaves are chewy and may return as entered. :shock::blush:

I boiled a 7 oz. package of macaroni in water with chicken soup base; drained when ready. Added about 1 tbsp. salted butter, six slices Velveeta cheese (off the block), and enough milk to make it creamy. Stir.

Absolutely wonderful and incredibly easy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom