Tuesday, 7-25-17, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a sous vide Pork Loin Roast, and used up the last jar of my homemade sauerkraut. Time to buy some more cabbages!

XJTy0R2.jpg

Wonderful looking dinner Steve, the pork looks perfectly cooked. What is the finishing sauce you used? A little homemade BBQ, maybe some sriracha...? :yum:

Last edited:
I'm defrosting a Costco Pork Loin Chop, which I am going to slice into scallopini and pound thin-ish, dredge in some Mochi-ko and then beaten egg and lastly roll them around in some Panko... aka Tonkatsu :yum:
The side dishes will be Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy and steamed White Rice

CAN'T WAIT!!!

I got 3 fillets if you want to call them that, out of one Chop.

003.JPG

We could only eat two of them... I'm stuffed!

DH asked how I got that forlorn Costco Chop to taste so good.
I have some new tricks up my sleeve :chef:

I'm inspired by this post and want to make tonkatsu tonight, too, although with chicken since it's already thawed :yum: I'll also serve it with white rice, along with braised green/gold/purple beans from the garden and some of the pickled veggies from the other night. I use the dipping sauce recipe from SteamyKitchen.com :yum:

Ya know, neither DH nor I have ever liked the Katsu Sauce, we have ours naked :LOL:

GG try using Sweet Rice Flour (Mochi-ko) rather than regular wheat flour, it makes a world of difference in the end result, de~li~cious! Very light and crispy.
I also use the dry brining method, also helps in the crispiness rather than a wet brine.

Made a sous vide Pork Loin Roast, and used up the last jar of my homemade sauerkraut. Time to buy some more cabbages!

XJTy0R2.jpg

What did you use to get your char after the sous vide? It appears to have a good char. Also, is that a small pork loin, or large plate -- or is it pork tenderloin?

CD

An Italian bread salad...
If you call it Panzanella, beth, it sounds sexier. ;)

Cheryl, mentioning deviled eggs reminded me...I remembered to make them on Sunday! :w00t: And they were yummy. :yum:

Still feels a bit like autumn, so I finally dragged the cryovac-ed 6-pound eye of round I got about a week or so ago. A real deal at $1.99 a pound. I wrapped and froze about 2# for shish-ka-bob down the road, and high/low roasted the rest. I used my 12" Lodge skillet and put it in the oven while it pre-heated to 500, then plopped the oiled and seasoned meat down. Half an hour, turn the oven off, and wait the two hours they told me to. I should have taken its temperature about 1 1/2 hours in, though, since it could have been rarer for us. Maybe next time. Had that with mashed potatoes, frozen peas, and some of the corn I froze a couple of weeks ago. The pan juices and one-pound-plus of fresh mushrooms made a knock-out gravy. My gosh, was it all good!

Attachments

• 20170725_222324.jpg
    20170725_222324.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 118
Ya know, neither DH nor I have ever liked the Katsu Sauce, we have ours naked [emoji38]

GG try using Sweet Rice Flour (Mochi-ko) rather than regular wheat flour, it makes a world of difference in the end result, de~li~cious! Very light and crispy.
I also use the dry brining method, also helps in the crispiness rather than a wet brine.

If I didn't use the dipping sauce, it would just be schnitzel! [emoji38] I'll look for the rice flour. I don't really brine it - I just salted and peppered it before coating.

I'm inspired by this post and want to make tonkatsu tonight, too, although with chicken since it's already thawed :yum: I'll also serve it with white rice, along with braised green/gold/purple beans from the garden and some of the pickled veggies from the other night. I use the dipping sauce recipe from SteamyKitchen.com :yum:
I love this stuff ?
0725172044a_HDR.jpg

What did you use to get your char after the sous vide? It appears to have a good char. Also, is that a small pork loin, or large plate -- or is it pork tenderloin?

CD

Nope, it's pork loin. Definitely on the smaller side, though.

I don't usually buy pork tenderloins, because most of them come with added "stuff."

The label from a package of Hormel pork tenderloin says it includes: Pork, Pork Broth, Contains 2% or less of Soybean Oil, Cultured Dextrose, Dried Vinegar, Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Citrus Extract), Seasoning (Potato Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor, Salt), Salt, Cornstarch, Flavoring.

I'd rather just have my meat without all the additives. ;)

For the char I threw it on the grill for about two minutes on each side.

Last edited:
Hi Cheryl,
It's homemade BBQ sauce made from sweet peppers, vinegar, and garlic. It seems to go really good with pork. :yum:

Thank you, Steve. When you have the time, I'd love to see your recipe. I'm not a fan of most store bought BBQ sauces because of all the sugar.

Good lookin' dinners there, kgirl, CG, GG, and Wyshie!

Wyshie...it's good to see you pop in here now and then. :)

CG, glad you remembered the deviled eggs! :LOL: I seem to never tire of them, and love to have a few on hand in the fridge during the summer.

Thank you, Steve. When you have the time, I'd love to see your recipe. I'm not a fan of most store bought BBQ sauces because of all the sugar.

Thanks, Cheryl!

I'd like to see Steve's recipe, too. I've been making my own for a couple years now - usually the Kansas-style or Memphis-style from Serious Eats, although they have several others. I should try the cherry one. That would go great with pork, too :yum:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/...nal-styles-kansas-city-memphis-carolinas.html

Thanks, Cheryl!

I'd like to see Steve's recipe, too. I've been making my own for a couple years now - usually the Kansas-style or Memphis-style from Serious Eats, although they have several others. I should try the cherry one. That would go great with pork, too :yum:

Make Your Own Barbecue Sauce: 12 Recipes | Serious Eats

Thank you for the link GG.
That cherry one does look good. I wonder if I could sub Trader Joe's tart dry cherries (plumped up maybe in the warmed up vinegar) for the frozen. Hmmmm Awhile back I made a fruit sauce using dried fruits and it turned out really good served with pork loin.

Nope, it's pork loin. Definitely on the smaller side, though.

I don't usually buy pork tenderloins, because most of them come with added "stuff."

The label from a package of Hormel pork tenderloin says it includes: Pork, Pork Broth, Contains 2% or less of Soybean Oil, Cultured Dextrose, Dried Vinegar, Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Citrus Extract), Seasoning (Potato Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor, Salt), Salt, Cornstarch, Flavoring.

I'd rather just have my meat without all the additives. ;)

For the char I threw it on the grill for about two minutes on each side.

I hear you. It's hard to find pork or chicken that hasn't been "enhanced," which is what it says on the label. :rolleyes:

I've only cooked pork sous vide once, and it was a bone-in loin chop. I think I went just a little too low on the temperature, because I didn't like the texture. I charred it in a cast-iron pan, but I don't think that was the issue. The texture problem was in the center.

Nice looking pork. :yum:

CD

Oh my goodness. I was hoping no one would ask. :LOL:

Cheryl, I have to admit I don't really have a recipe, so much as a "technique." I'm sorry, but this is about as vague as it gets....

Basically I start with buying a variety of sweet peppers at the farmers market. I don't know what the actual variety is, or if they even have a name. The peppers I look for are about the size of jalapenos, although with nowhere near the heat. They are usually labelled "sweet peppers" and come in yellow, red, and orange varieties.

First, I halve, seed, and roast the peppers on the grill. Then rough chop them, add minced garlic and onion to taste and enough water to cover. Then just cook the whole thing down until it's quite thick and puree most of it in the food processor. I try to reserve a little and just sort of pulse that in the processor so it has some texture.

At this point I add vinegar until the pH meter reads between 3.5 and 4.0 and pop it back on the stove to heat it up again. Sometimes I have to add a little sweetener to balance it, but not a lot. The peppers are normally sweet enough on their own.

Then I salt to taste and pack it in sanitized bail top bottles. This sauce easily keeps in the fridge for up to a year. I've used some that is older and it's been fine. The vinegar preserves it nicely.

Some people will say this is a "hot sauce" recipe but there is nothing hot about it. I call it barbecue sauce. It's vinegary and sweet and salty, and it goes great with pork.

Sorry, I don't have anything more specific than that. I'm the first to admit it comes out just a little different every year because I make it from whatever is available at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom