Turkey in new Electric Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perla Simmons

Assistant Cook
Hi, all,
I am a new member and am about 48 hours away from putting in a 17 pounder turkey in my "virgin" electric oven. I had gas oven prior to this one. I had never cooked with a convection oven before. Any tips? For example, How about pre-warming the oven? should I cover the bird the first 15 minutes?

I know this size probably would have taken about 5.5 hours with my previous gas oven. How long should I expect with this new one?

Another question please,if I may? What kind of wine would ideally go with a Parmigianno Reggiano cheese? I randomly picked (not very good judge of cheeses) a pack and tried a small piece and tasted it and it is good.

Thanks so much.
Perla

Hi Perla & Welcome to DiscussCooking!

Kitchen Aid suggests that in your covection oven, that you cook your turkey at 300 degrees, for 10-15 minutes per pound, providing the bird is 13 pounds and under. If the bird is larger, you ought to go with 10-12 minutes per pound.

Always make sure your turkey's internal temp is 180.

As for the wine, I'm not much help, but tomorrow there will be many folks who can help :)

Welcome Perla! Can't help on the turkey - don't cook them, although I did cook turkey bonbons last New Year, but that doesn't count! Anyway, I would never put food into a cold oven, irrespective of its heating method. Always prewarm.

Can't help w/ the oven, but I absolutely love a chardonnay with parmesan or swiss cheese. Or a Pinot Grigio. MMM. It's got to be 5:00 somewhere! PM, not a.m.

Just pretend - the sky is almost completely dark, the wind is picking up and its a bit chill. A nice rich red would warm up the toes, with a nice bit of blue and some nashi pear on a Breton biscuit - or pick a brand that means something to you. Sit back in the arm chair and just relaxxxx and let the day's tension just fall away.... (ignore the kids in the other room) Ahhhhh....

I have always used electric stoves. You must preheat, (use oven thermometer) to desired heat. Turkey I use 325' - your big bird should take 3-3 1/2 hrs. (unstuffed), maybe and hour more stuffed. I would start checking thigh temp. after 3 hrs. 180 should be your goal. I don't cover unless browning too fast, then so with a tent of foil. Good luck.

Sorry this is for conventional oven - oops!

Last edited:
Hi, all,
I am a new member and am about 48 hours away from putting in a 17 pounder turkey in my "virgin" electric oven. I had gas oven prior to this one. I had never cooked with a convection oven before. Any tips? For example, How about pre-warming the oven? should I cover the bird the first 15 minutes?

I know this size probably would have taken about 5.5 hours with my previous gas oven. How long should I expect with this new one?

Another question please,if I may? What kind of wine would ideally go with a Parmigianno Reggiano cheese? I randomly picked (not very good judge of cheeses) a pack and tried a small piece and tasted it and it is good.

Thanks so much.
Perla
In a convection oven... I would go with 375 for 2.5 hours for a 17lb turkey. Convection ovens significantly reduce cooking times. We used a convection oven last year and it made one of the best turkeys I have had come our of an oven..

Last edited:
Great to meet you Perla. I love chardonnay with Parmesan cheese. Best of luck with your turkey.

Back
Top Bottom