Turkey leftover soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peppercorn in your stock. Do you do whole peppercorns or grind them fresh...?

I often add ground pepper but does brewing whole ones do something different?

I always roast the bones overnight, well, maybe not roast, but I put them in the roaster, with water and add a spice ball that has pickling spice in it. I add carrot, celery, onion. I add a bit of dill pickle brine. I do add peppercorns. I set the oven at 275 and let it go overnight. The stock is dark brown and has so much flavour. I strain it and then set the stock in the fridge to get any fat to harden. Sometimes I add a bit of fresh ginger and lemongrass, but it depends on how I plan on using the stock. When I make the soup, this is a two-day process given the overnight cooking of the carcass, the chilling of the stock, I add the reserved meat about 10 minutes before the soup is done. It took me a long time to master turkey soup that had a lot of turkey flavour. Treating the carcass this way is what did it for me. My Dad loves my turkey soup. It is all to taste and what I have on hand. But the secret is the stock.

Last edited:
I always roast the bones overnight, well, maybe not roast, but I put them in the roaster, with water and add a spice ball that has pickling spice in it. I add carrot, celery, onion. I add a bit of dill pickle brine. I do add peppercorns. I set the oven at 275 and let it go overnight. The stock is dark brown and has so much flavour. I strain it and then set the stock in the fridge to get any fat to harden. Sometimes I add a bit of fresh ginger and lemongrass, but it depends on how I plan on using the stock. When I make the soup, this is a two-day process given the overnight cooking of the carcass, the chilling of the stock, I add the reserved meat about 10 minutes before the soup is done. It took me a long time to master turkey soup that had a lot of turkey flavour. Treating the carcass this way is what did it for me. My Dad loves my turkey soup. It is all to taste and what I have on hand. But the secret is the stock.

Why pickling spices? What base price soup are you aiming for with that base? Dill seems like a targeted taste with a certain goal in mind for a soup?

I use pepper, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay, paprika, etc. No salt but what I’d consider more base flavours that go with any kind of meat or vegetable. I save any jalapeño etc for the soup itself.

What makes you go that way?

I can understand using the pickling spice. I use it when making homemade corned beef. The flavors pair well with savory foods, such as turkey soup would be.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Would you do it with beef and chicken to? Sorry about derailing off the turkey
I do it with all my stock except mushroom stock. If you do a search on the Internet, you will find it is a common ingredient in stock/soup. The blend I use depends on the stock. I will mix up a pickling spice with juniper and allspice when making a beef stock.

I can understand using the pickling spice. I use it when making homemade corned beef. The flavors pair well with savory foods, such as turkey soup would be.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I don't know... I have chicken, turkey and pork stocks in my freezer right now. For the recipes I make, flavors like allspice, cinnamon, cloves, dill and red pepper flakes would not go well.

CWS, if you make your own pickling spice mix for specific purposes, you should be clear about that, since most people don't. I've seen many stock recipes online over the years and I've never seen one that calls for pickling spice.

This is my first sighting of that as well hence my surprise and curiosity. I never really cook with dill though so it may just be me

Back
Top Bottom