Vintage Photo Object, What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5e0d_1_sbl.JPG

On this, I can see the 2 bolts and that top middle valve thingy.

Guess who doesn't have anything to do until 11:00? :LOL: This is fun.

Last edited:
Beth,

I can say without a doubt, the object is a radiator. Our old house, built in 1880, is filled with them. Some rather ornate, others quite pedestrian. One in the dining room is decorated with gold painted filigree designs. Rather lovely.

Our house was originally heated using a steam-powered boiler that fed the radiators. It boiler died quite a few years ago so we no longer use the radiators. We have a friend who has been systematically removing them for us and selling them for scrap.

We considered that, Jan, but even the smallest one takes two strong men to move. They are made out of cast-iron and weigh a bloomin' ton.

We haven't removed the largest ones yet. I suspect it'll take at least three, maybe four, to heave those suckers.

Katie E said:
We considered that, Jan, but even the smallest one takes two strong men to move. They are made out of cast-iron and weigh a bloomin' ton.

We haven't removed the largest ones yet. I suspect it'll take at least three, maybe four, to heave those suckers.

Yes, on Ebay the seller said that the purchaser must be willing to pick it up. :)

hey, what do i win?

i hope it's not the radiator. :)
i hauled 2 of them out of my basement on a hand truck by myself. i almost bust a gut.

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Beth...

I presume you can determine if the house was indeed steam heated?

:LOL: :LOL: not a chance. I have no idea where this house is. WHOAA, wait a minute..........

I am looking at grampa's WWI draft registration dated June 5 1917 and his address is listed. But I am a ways from North 2nd st in Oskaloosa, at the moment. Actually this short lived family moved about quite a bit. But I would be reasonably sure that these pictures were taken at the North 2nd street house, as opposed to other relatives homes in town. Nope, not likely I can determine that today.:(

buckytom said:
hey, what do i win?

I'm thinking bout this one...........how bout an invite to the 2nd annual Davis Brothers family reunion and shooting match, held THIS weekend in beauteefull southern Ohio.....we will be short one bro....... who works in TV............in NYC..........who has a son.......maybe you all could fill in?

bethzaring said:
...I am looking at grampa's WWI draft registration dated June 5 1917 ...

Beth, the romantic, that I am, makes me wonder - since ww1 started a few months prior (to what appears to be Mom & Dad each taking a pic with the baby) -- if shortly after, Dad went off to war. Told ya I was a sappy romantic. Maybe it's a timeline to help figure out a pattern to the family pics. Thanks for sharing. The pics are lovely. :)

Last edited:
mish said:
Beth, the romantic, that I am, makes me wonder - since ww1 started a few months prior (to what appears to be Mom & Dad each taking a pic with the baby) -- if shortly after, Dad went off to war. Told ya I was a sappy romantic. Maybe it's a timeline to help figure out a pattern to the family pics. Thanks for sharing. The pics are lovely. :)

I'm a romantic too, or at least MUCH more so than DH.

The WWI draft registrations are now on-line. When I first looked up grampa, I was shocked, jaw dropping to the keyboard shocked. Gramps asked for an exemption from the draft because he was a member of the Friends church. Now, I am here to tell you that the Zarings have been methodists since methodists were invented. But he did marry into a staunch quaker family. And I was able to determine through several methods on-line, that gramps joined the quaker church in 1915, before he married my grandmother. Grandma died in 1923 and my dad was raised by an aunt. Dad had no memory of his mom or dad. I am sure dad never knew his father joined the quaker church. I have very few pictures of this family, and no pictures with the three of them together.

The WWI draft registrations are fascinating. The ones I have viewed have been written in the registers own hand writing.

Am quite happy to share old photographs, or new ones too!

bethzaring said:
I'm thinking bout this one...........how bout an invite to the 2nd annual Davis Brothers family reunion and shooting match, held THIS weekend in beauteefull southern Ohio.....we will be short one bro....... who works in TV............in NYC..........who has a son.......maybe you all could fill in?

we'd love to come. unfortunately, gotta work the final four (ncaa basketball) this weekend. :) but thanks!

dw would like to come for the shootin' match; she'll bring her own target...:(

Jeekinz said:

LOL! Yeah, me too, Jeekinz!

Thank heavens BT and others solved the mystery! I saw the photo this morning and have been dying to know what the object was.

The photo of the man in the chair was really striking - such a serene setting, and all artistic-looking, except for that mysterious THING on the side! I wondered why the photographer didn't move the thing off the table before taking the otherwise perfect shot. Now I know!

Very cool thread!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom