Water Bath Canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanat

Assistant Cook
Has anyone used an electric roaster oven to do the water bath for canning? I've used it before and set the temp to the 400 mark with the lid on and it comes to a boil and there is a rack that you can put in it to remove jars. Seems it worked okay, all the jars got a good seal on them.

oh!! MY BAD..The address for free canning recipes is Freecanningrecipes.com

It can be done with a roaster.As long as the tops are covered,and you get that seal,it's not a problem.

Munky

Waterbath canning in roaster oven

Every thing I have read from the USDA site and our county extension office all say bring water to a vigerous boil with at least 2" above the lids for the amount of time the recipe calls for. So I guess a boil is a boil no matter what equipment u use. Boil times vary according to the altitude so boiling times can differ and may need adjusted to your area.

Boiling Water Canner pots have a special lid configuration to enable a full boil without the water going out of the pot. If another type of pot is used then it must be high enough to cover the jars and also not to allow the water to come out....and a lid must be used else the open air causes cold spots that could prevent proper heat penetration of the jars.

I'm new at this site, but i can tell I'm really going to like it! Bear with me while I learn my way around. It's wonderful to come here and get info from u guys! I can search the internet and not find what I'm looking for! You'll are much quicker!!

Back
Top Bottom