Ways with asparagus..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is for ASPARAGUS lovers!!!!!!!

Just received my April issue of Food Network Mag.

Inside, they have an article on Asparagus with 18 NEW RECIPES.

Don't know if they are posted on their site yet, but I figured it might be worth a look for those that don't have or won't buy the mag.

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

The darlings were $1.00 lb at the store today!!!

I'm going to be doing this yummy sounding dish very soon, probably in my handy dandy individual casseroles.

Creamy Chicken & Asparagus Casserole | Cozy Country Living

Oh My GOSH!!!
K-L, can I come eat at your house?
There's no way on EARTH DH would eat that, but I on the other hand, could very possibly devour that entire Casserole! :yum:

Here's a new favorite way to cook Asparagus in our house …

IMG_5512.jpg

Oven-Roasted with a HERD of fresh chopped Garlic, Olive Oil and S&P

I feel like Queen Ditto recently. K-L you'd better triple/quadruple the recipe for when K-girl and I arrive!

Just so happens I have a chicken breast I never got around to ocoking last night. I also have some individual little cast iron pans... so thanks for that idea too!

I grow asparagus. Have two patches of purple ones and 1 green. The word is that you should dig up your crowns in the spring and divide them every few years for best yields. I plan to do some this spring.

Where I live, in the heart f Appalachia, asparagus is quite seasonal. Only a few times of the year do I see it in stores here. Food Desert for sure.

I generally bend mine until they break off and steam the tips. If I've prepared meat I may roll the asparagus in the fats and broil it for a bit and serve the spears over the meat.

In my area Kroger is the dominate chain now that "Big Bear" went out of business. The nice big one is near the most affluent suburb and we call it the
"Gucci Kroger". The one out in the farmland is of course, "The farmers Kroger". In town in the less affluent area....."the Po'folks Kroger. So if I were really wanting asparagus, I'd call the Gucci first and get ready to drive 12 miles out there.

As for bitterness of asparagus, I've read where some people have or are missing a "gene" that makes certain vegetables bitter to them. I remember when President Bush (the father) banned Broccoli from Air Force One. He claimed it was bitter to him and he wouldn't serve anything like that to any guest or dignitaries that he wouldn't eat. But those who find Broccoli to be bitter often find asparagus to be bitter too. Ironically there are some people who embrace things which taste bitter. Of the 5 taste, bitter is said to be the least preferred taste from what I've read and studied. It must have a cult following. Budweiser beer has been quite successful and that owes much to it's bitterness. (according to one Budweiser brewery employee I spoke with)

I grew up with canned asparagus that was prepared in a cream sauce and served over toast. That was after dad had eaten up all of the dried beef and we were down to asparagus.

Last edited:
I grow asparagus. Have two patches of purple ones and 1 green. The word is that you should dig up your crowns in the spring and divide them every few years for best yields. I plan to do some this spring.
Thanks for the reminder. I have been complacent about a few of my plants (about 15 plants), and some are getting really large. I will have to divide a couple of crowns very shortly.

As for bitterness of asparagus, I've read where some people have or are missing a "gene" that makes certain vegetables bitter to them. I remember when President Bush (the father) banned Broccoli from Air Force One. He claimed it was bitter to him and he wouldn't serve anything like that to any guest or dignitaries that he wouldn't eat. But those who find Broccoli to be bitter often find asparagus to be bitter too. Ironically there are some people who embrace things which taste bitter. Of the 5 taste, bitter is said to be the least preferred taste from what I've read and studied. It must have a cult following. Budweiser beer has been quite successful and that owes much to it's bitterness. (according to one Budweiser brewery employee I spoke with)
I think you may be confusing the dislike of cilantro for a genetic reason (which is true - makes it taste soapy) with the perception of bitterness. Humans have evolved to have a sensitivity to bitterness because frequently, food that has gone bad has a bitter flavor. Like any other human sense, sensitivity varies. I read years ago that salt reduces the perception of bitterness. It works to a point for me, but I still can't enjoy an IPA [emoji38]

I think you may be confusing the dislike of cilantro for a genetic reason (which is true - makes it taste soapy) with the perception of bitterness. Humans have evolved to have a sensitivity to bitterness because frequently, food that has gone bad has a bitter flavor. Like any other human sense, sensitivity varies. I read years ago that salt reduces the perception of bitterness. It works to a point for me, but I still can't enjoy an IPA [emoji38]

Bitter is associated with a number of toxins found in plants.

I dislike bitter. I don't like dark roast coffee or dark chocolate. But weirdly, I don't notice bitter in broccoli or in asparagus, well, I don't really remember, because I eat asparagus so seldom. I do notice bitter in things that other people don't notice it in.

Cold also mitigates bitter to some extent.

I'm going to be doing this yummy sounding dish very soon, probably in my handy dandy individual casseroles.

Creamy Chicken & Asparagus Casserole | Cozy Country Living

Just waiting for them to come out of the oven...

thanks for the suggestion - both the recipe and doing them individual. I toned it down to 3 dishes, poached a chicken breast, divided the asparagus (some for this and some for the gallette).

Waiting - waiting...

Attachments

• 20200314_180207.jpg
    20200314_180207.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 129

thanks for the suggestion - both the recipe and doing them individual. I toned it down to 3 dishes, poached a chicken breast, divided the asparagus (some for this and some for the gallette).

Waiting - waiting...

That looks outstanding dragn!!!
One for you
One for me
One for Kayelle
Perfect!
:LOL:

Waiting - waiting...

They look terrific Dragn...I can hardly wait to hear what you think of that recipe after you enjoy it.
I'm roasting a standing chicken tonight, and will use some of it with that recipe tomorrow. It sure sounds like a good one. :yum:

Oh oh...

Well, was waaaay too salty. Edible mind you, but not company.

They suggest to salt the asparagus when first put in the dish. :ermm:

Sauce:
because I was in a hurry and happen to have a can of creme of chicken soup on hand, I used it. I have used this brand before when making casserole type dishes but perhaps the quantities just did not suit the recipe. My emphatic suggestion is to make/use homemade.

When I look back I realize it was just waiting to happen. There is a lot of salt in the concentrated soup, there is salt in the boxed stove top stuffing, then there is salt in the parm.

So not a howling success but not to worry - I will eat your shares to protect you :rolleyes:

The concept is wonderful and I will make it again. It is certainly not a quickie meal if you make soup and stuffing from scratch. Unless, of course, you already have them on hand. ... and that requires fore-planning which is never my strong suit.

Good part is the asparagus was nicely cooked, the quantity for a single serving was about right. Especially if served with a good salad. Six servings down to 3 small or 2 large was good. I divided all the ingredients directly in half other than I had 1 large chicken breast.

So the quantity balance was good. Proportionate division of asparagus/chicken/sauce/stuffing/cheese I thought was excellent.

Ahhh well, can't win'em all :( :)

@GG,

Yes, I've heard of those who don't care for what they describe as the soapy flavor that they detect in cilantro. I don't know if they have issues with ground coriander as a spice or not.

Personally I don't have any problems with any of those things. I guess I'm fortunate not to have problems with peanuts, or gluten etc.

The only thing I have a reaction to is flax seed/oil. I discovered that by accident.

I don't know about the soapy taste in cilantro, but I detest it. Maybe I have the gene and just describe it differently. The leaves are very different from the seeds. I really like coriander seeds.

Well, was waaaay too salty. Edible mind you, but not company.

They suggest to salt the asparagus when first put in the dish. :ermm:

Sauce:
because I was in a hurry and happen to have a can of creme of chicken soup on hand, I used it. I have used this brand before when making casserole type dishes but perhaps the quantities just did not suit the recipe. My emphatic suggestion is to make/use homemade.

When I look back I realize it was just waiting to happen. There is a lot of salt in the concentrated soup, there is salt in the boxed stove top stuffing, then there is salt in the parm.

So not a howling success but not to worry - I will eat your shares to protect you :rolleyes:

The concept is wonderful and I will make it again. It is certainly not a quickie meal if you make soup and stuffing from scratch. Unless, of course, you already have them on hand. ... and that requires fore-planning which is never my strong suit.

Good part is the asparagus was nicely cooked, the quantity for a single serving was about right. Especially if served with a good salad. Six servings down to 3 small or 2 large was good. I divided all the ingredients directly in half other than I had 1 large chicken breast.

So the quantity balance was good. Proportionate division of asparagus/chicken/sauce/stuffing/cheese I thought was excellent.

Ahhh well, can't win'em all :( :)

Thanks so much for the advice dragn...I made notes on my hard copy for tomorrow. I'll be making the soup concentrate from scratch, per her recipe as it only calls for 1tsp. of salt. I often make my own cream soup concentrate as I agree the cans all have way too much salt.

I don't steam, I fry.

Butter and a bit of garlic.

It has to be high enough temperature to fry the skins of the stalks. I mean REALLY. When do it you can cut it or bite it more easily, and might even get a fork through it. (to cut, you know what I mean)

There are also plenty of people who fry Brussels sprouts, They swear by it.

T

Back
Top Bottom