Wednesday, December 13, 2023 - Dinner Bell is Ringing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I had some avocados that needed to be used. I made Guacamole Chicken with Spanish rice & pasta, and sauteed string beans. Lemon pie for dessert. (The chicken will be lunch tomorrow because the chicken breasts were huge!)

20231213_180401.jpg

The Caprese galette was tonight's dinner. Posted under wrong thread. No biggie though.

Dessert was an apple pie galette with salted caramel vanilla ice cream. Craig ate 1/3 of my Caprese plus his and 2/3 of the apple pie galette. Honestly, I don't know where he puts it. I'm over full right now.

20231213_191920.jpg

Last edited:
WEBER-Dh and I really like Avocado's and was glad to find this recipe. We both gave it a Very Good!! rating.

Patagonian Hot Dogs with Avocado Mayo

Mayo

1 ripe Hass avocado, roughly chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped
1 TB chopped shallot
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced or pushed through a press
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

8 best-quality all-beef hot dogs
8 hot dog buns, split
1 jar or bag (1 lb.) sauerkraut, drained
1 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the mayo ingredients and puree until smooth.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F.)

Cut a few shallow slashes in each hot dog, and then grill, with the lid closed, until hot all the way to the center, 4 or 5 minutes, turning occasionally. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.

Generously spread the avocado mayo inside each bun (you will not need all of it). Then add a hot dog, sauerkraut, tomatoes, cilantro and onion. Serve warm.

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers by Jamie Purviance

Last edited:
I finally had enough spoons to put a supper together that involved some actual cooking. It was very easy cooking. It was an amazingly simple tomato sauce, Marcella Hazan's four ingredient tomato sauce. Almost no work. I used a whole jar of passata, because there are no seeds in passata and tomato seeds make tomato more likely to aggravate my arthritis.

That sauce worked well with some frozen, ricotta and spinach cannelloni that came with yesterday's produce basket. I served it with a green salad and my homemade, batch vinaigrette.

Store bought cannelloni with homemade tomato sauce and a salad.jpg

Badjak, is that a metal collar around the burner? and I love your mini-wok. Are they common there?
Yeah, I use camping stoves and have an open kitchen, so I made a couple of wind breaks

The small cast iron wadjan was my dad's. He used it often and esp for smaller amounts of nasi goreng.
I managed to liberate it when he went to an old age home and really love it for smaller amounts, but esp for deep frying (krupuk, emping, potatoes, tempeh. Tried rempejek, but that was a failure (operator error). Gotta try mini spring rolls again)

Beetroot mash?
(Rode bieten stamppot?)
I don't think I have heard or seen it before. But yeah, why not. If you can make carrot mash, curly kale mash etc, then why not beetroot mash ;)
I like the fact that you eat it with sambal!

Beetroot mash?
(Rode bieten stamppot?)
I don't think I have heard or seen it before. But yeah, why not. If you can make carrot mash, curly kale mash etc, then why not beetroot mash ;)
I like the fact that you eat it with sambal!
It's a Rotterdam tradition. Called 'krootjesstamp'. Or krotenprak. Haha :LOL:

Most Indo (half Dutch, half Indonesian) people I know eat stamppot with sambal. It just livens up the otherwise pretty tame dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom