What’s on your plate Sunday 8/12/2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
DD asked for homemade calzone with ham and Genoa salami in it.

Made a batch of"Potluck Potato Salad" from a 1960s BHG cookbook. SO prepped some fresh string beans and I'm grilling sirloin tips for dinner.

Dessert will be Kayelle's Peach Cake.

Last edited:
Kalua pork in my new Instant Pot, white rice in the Zoji, fresh pineapple chunks, and nuked broc. Love these "set and forget" appliances!

I'm using the pork recipe from Instant Pot. 90 minutes seems a bit long for a pressure cooker, but I'm assuming they know what they are doing. I'm hoping for a Hawaiian ono and not an American oh no!

...I'm hoping for a Hawaiian ono and not an American oh no!
:LOL: Cute, tenspeed! Can't wait for K-Girl's reaction. ;)

We have a plethora of leftovers, so we'll be having "making room in the fridge" for supper. Maybe the salad making won't seem so much trouble since the rest of supper is done. :LOL:

Attachments

• Shrimp Chow Mein.jpg
    Shrimp Chow Mein.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Brioche Bread Pudding.jpg
    Brioche Bread Pudding.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 219
Had planned on trying to grill some lobster but it rained...

Attachments

• 2018-08-12 18.01.26.jpg
    2018-08-12 18.01.26.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 135
I am going to finally grill some chicken wings. They have been on the menu two or three times this week, but always got bumped, for one reason or another. Seasoned with salt, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper.

CD

I'm doing a mini version of Kalua pork also, this time in the oven. I've done it dozens of times in my Nesco Roaster, and before that in a crockpot.
This time I only had a thick slice of pork shoulder in the freezer so I seasoned it with the NOH Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (with garlic, vinegar and chili pepper), along with Kiawe Liquid Smoke. I'll serve it with my Pineapple Salsa, and steamed Jasmine rice.

We'll have glorified salads from the SC too.

Hope yours turns out well too TS...

Last edited:
Lunch was a plate of rotisserie chicken, sesame noodles, stuffed grape leaves and feta cheese.

lunch_plate_081218_IMG_4709.jpg

Dinner was ham calzone.

ham_calzone_081218_1_IMG_4716.jpg

ham_calzone_081218_2_IMG_4717.jpg

ham_calzone_081218_3_IMG_4723.jpg

WOW! Now I'm hungry all over again with the sights
and 'sounds' (descriptions) of everyone's' meals ...

Kalua pork in my new Instant Pot, white rice in the Zoji, fresh pineapple chunks, and nuked broc. Love these "set and forget" appliances!

I'm using the pork recipe from Instant Pot. 90 minutes seems a bit long for a pressure cooker, but I'm assuming they know what they are doing. I'm hoping for a Hawaiian ono and not an American oh no!

Tenspeed, I sure would like to see as well as hear about your Kalua Pig and how it came out in the IP!
You got the ONO part right with the rice :yum:

:LOL: Cute, tenspeed! Can't wait for K-Girl's reaction. ;)

We have a plethora of leftovers, so we'll be having "making room in the fridge" for supper. Maybe the salad making won't seem so much trouble since the rest of supper is done. :LOL:

:LOL:
CG, any Kalua Pig is better than no Kalua Pig in my book!

I'm doing a mini version of Kalua pork also, this time in the oven. I've done it dozens of times in my Nesco Roaster, and before that in a crockpot.
This time I only had a thick slice of pork shoulder in the freezer so I seasoned it with the NOH Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (with garlic, vinegar and chili pepper), along with Kiawe Liquid Smoke. I'll serve it with my Pineapple Salsa, and steamed Jasmine rice.

We'll have glorified salads from the SC too.

Hope yours turns out well too TS...

K-L I'd also like to see how your dish turned out as well!

001.jpg

002.jpg

Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street sent over a container that I had taken her full of what I can't remember, but she filled it with her family's version of Italian Spaghetti Sauce if you will. (Dh said that it was a bit sweet for his taste and needed MUCH more seasoning, aka garlic, herbs... he's coming around, ;) he claims NOT to be a foodie :LOL:)
I made up my rendition of Chicken Cacciatore ... b/s Chicken thighs, red bell peppers, sweet white onions - deglaze with some white wine, add some of the sauce, simmer while the orecchiette boils and the bread heats up ... top with grated grana padano and fresh flat leaf parsley ... I'm STUFFED!!!

Tenspeed, I sure would like to see as well as hear about your Kalua Pig and how it came out in the IP!
You got the ONO part right with the rice :yum:
It was ono! Here's the instructions from Instant Pot:

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/kalua-pork/

I trimmed all of the external fat from the pork butt so there would be browned meat in the end. With all of the marbling it was still very moist, and didn't need to add any pot liquid to the meat.

Chicken, spinach, mushroom and ricotta stuffed manicotti (pronounced man-ə-caut), an iceberg lettuce, arugula, sorrel and tomato salad, and a 2017 Hayton petite sirah.

GG, your DH and my Mom were of the same thoughts. We also had grilled rib eyes or lunch yesterday. We had baked potatoes and salads for sides, and cantaloupe or dessert. Leftovers for supper last night.

GG, your DH and my Mom were of the same thoughts. We also had grilled rib eyes or lunch yesterday. We had baked potatoes and salads for sides, and cantaloupe or dessert. Leftovers for supper last night.
It was pouring down rain when we were ready to grill, so I ended up searing the steaks on my cast-iron griddle on the gas stove. Still good.

Back
Top Bottom