What are some things that are main stream, everyone likes except for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dragn, do you know that sushi grade fish is more expensive than plain raw fish? That's because it has been extra carefully handled and inspected. Tuna has dense flesh, like beef. It's not like chicken. So searing the outside will kill any surface microbes. With dense flesh, the microbes don't penetrate, when we are talking about fresh fish or meat.

I don't eat salmon that has been heated. The last time I tried that my gag reflex did kick in. So, I don't eat salmon raw just because I don't have the patience to cook it. It stimulates my gag reflex and tastes horrible when cooked. I don't generally want uncured raw salmon, simply because I find it too bland.

Does the texture of Prosciutto bother you?

taxy, I do not like my beef, pork, chicken, fish raw.
I like my beef and pork medium rare - meaning still pink in the middle but not red/raw.
chicken and fish must be fully cooked. Chicken needs to be fall off the bone cooked. I have had chicken that is fully cooked according to the thermometer but still the tissue on the bone is (for want of better word) clinging and raw like. Fish must flake all the way thru. If not, my gag reflex is triggered.

View attachment 65225 View attachment 65226
and I don't care what gourmet scientists say, that tuna is raw. I've never seen it cooked or presented any other way.
Fresh tuna is cooked this way because when it's cooked all the way through, it's tough, like overcooked beef steak.

Ceviche is another. Total gagger.
I honestly think all that hype is only because people are too impatient to cook and think they look cool eating them raw, giving onlookers a shock factor. The shock factor has become a fad.
Yes, now there are some people who truly enjoy the texture and the lemon juice.
What hype?
If people are eating it in restaurants, it's not because they're too lazy to cook - they're not cooking it! 😁 And when I make it at home, it's not because I want to impress anyone - no one else is here besides DH and he likes it, too.

This is not meant to try to change your mind - just making conversation.

I agree with the last bit.
I happen to like carpaccio, ceviche, raw herring, tuna, sashime.
I do not like steak tartare though.
Nothing to do with impressing people. I just enjoy it.

I do think it helps that I've eaten raw herring since a very young age, so the "raw" part doesn't click a switch saying " don't eat this it needs to be cooked"

(Raw herring is not really raw though)

Dragn, do you know that sushi grade fish is more expensive than plain raw fish? That's because it has been extra carefully handled and inspected. Tuna has dense flesh, like beef. It's not like chicken. So searing the outside will kill any surface microbes. With dense flesh, the microbes don't penetrate, when we are talking about fresh fish or meat.

I don't eat salmon that has been heated. The last time I tried that my gag reflex did kick in. So, I don't eat salmon raw just because I don't have the patience to cook it. It stimulates my gag reflex and tastes horrible when cooked. I don't generally want uncured raw salmon, simply because I find it too bland.

Does the texture of Prosciutto bother you?
Yes, I am well aware of how it is handled. I never said I was afraid of microbes or anything else in the raw meat.
I said the raw makes me gag. To you, heated salmon taste bad and makes you gag. So we both have gag reflexes, just based on different tastes and textures.
And if you read that I like smoked salmon only if sliced very thin (and is on the dry side, not wet) - then you won't be surprised that I do like prosciutto, as long as it too, is thinly sliced (and also dry, not wet).

Fresh tuna is cooked this way because when it's cooked all the way through, it's tough, like overcooked beef steak.

What hype?
If people are eating it in restaurants, it's not because they're too lazy to cook - they're not cooking it! 😁 And when I make it at home, it's not because I want to impress anyone - no one else is here besides DH and he likes it, too.

This is not meant to try to change your mind - just making conversation.
Yes, GG, I'm fully aware that is why it is served that way. Tough as nails, yup.
The "hype" started back sometime back in the 80's (I think). Yes, now-a-days it is a norm. ...and yes, I should have said 'had' become and not 'has'.

Gads, I thought the title of the Thread was "What are some.... " not "Why are some..."

Well, it took a while to find out that it's the texture you can't stand. I can understand that. It doesn't sound unreasonable to find that "raw texture" off putting. To be honest, I'm interested in why people do or don't like different kinds of food. It helps broaden my viewpoint.

Another taste that I do NOT like that seems to be popular among most people is olive oil. Can't stand the taste of it. Not even the "extra light tasting" olive oil works for me. Blech. :yuk:

Although I cannot taste the differences between many things that others can - I can taste STALE Olive Oil.
AND I have never bought a bottle of Oil in a grocery store that did NOT taste stale. I thought that was normal and what everyone liked. Blech... So Linda, I entirely agree with you on that.
However, I recently found a specializing store in Olive Oil and am completely dumbfounded. They sell only Olive Oil and Vinegars. I'm in love!
They show which kind of olives the various oils come from, their strengths, etc. There is NO stale taste or smell, it is a clean taste, not greasy, very soft and velvety on the tongue.
Various olives have different peppery aftertaste, like hot peppers, they will make the back of your throat tingle and taken alone (without food/chunk of bread) will definitely make you cough! ;) there are other nuances of flavours but I'm not experienced enough to pick them up (like wine's various hints of tastes).

Hope you will be able to find a "Dispensary" one day and be able to experience the different tastes. Might not make you a fan but at least you will know what they should taste like!

I dislike tuna salad. My husband loves it, so I make it and I have something else. Now that I think of it, I don't like tuna, even grilled Ahi tuna, which he also loves.

Another taste that I do NOT like that seems to be popular among most people is olive oil. Can't stand the taste of it. Not even the "extra light tasting" olive oil works for me. Blech. :yuk:
Most olive oils in the grocery stores are just poor quality or stale, as dragn said. I learned from the manager of a store like she mentioned that only sells olive oils and balsamic vinegars that olive oil is much like wine - there are different olives, like there are different grapes, that have different flavors. They can be picked early, middle or late season and all have different flavors. Oils can be pure or blended. All of this affects the flavor. DH likes the peppery oils, while I prefer the fruity ones.

Columbus is a big enough city that you should be able to find a store like this somewhere. Products from a shop like this are more expensive, but imo, they're worth it.

Although I cannot taste the differences between many things that others can - I can taste STALE Olive Oil.
AND I have never bought a bottle of Oil in a grocery store that did NOT taste stale. I thought that was normal and what everyone liked. Blech... So Linda, I entirely agree with you on that.
However, I recently found a specializing store in Olive Oil and am completely dumbfounded. They sell only Olive Oil and Vinegars. I'm in love!
They show which kind of olives the various oils come from, their strengths, etc. There is NO stale taste or smell, it is a clean taste, not greasy, very soft and velvety on the tongue.
Various olives have different peppery aftertaste, like hot peppers, they will make the back of your throat tingle and taken alone (without food/chunk of bread) will definitely make you cough! ;) there are other nuances of flavours but I'm not experienced enough to pick them up (like wine's various hints of tastes).

Hope you will be able to find a "Dispensary" one day and be able to experience the different tastes. Might not make you a fan but at least you will know what they should taste like!

Most olive oils in the grocery stores are just poor quality or stale, as dragn said. I learned from the manager of a store like she mentioned that only sells olive oils and balsamic vinegars that olive oil is much like wine - there are different olives, like there are different grapes, that have different flavors. They can be picked early, middle or late season and all have different flavors. Oils can be pure or blended. All of this affects the flavor. DH likes the peppery oils, while I prefer the fruity ones.

Columbus is a big enough city that you should be able to find a store like this somewhere. Products from a shop like this are more expensive, but imo, they're worth it.
Thanks to the both of you for the information. If I come across a place like this near me, I may try it. Although it does depend on the cost. I'm on a very tight budget.

I've heard the same thing, about how certain olive oils can have a terrible taste due to types of olives and also processing procedures.

Cucumbers, and their kissin' cousins, pickles. I do not like them in with salad greens, I do not like them on the burger scene, I do not like them if they're not seen, I do not think they're really keen. I do not like them with a sandwich of ham, I do not like them, Sam I Am.

Budgets do not usually include expensive oils. I certainly agree with that. So Linda, just use Canola oil.
Also because supposedly, Olive Oils maximum shelf life is 7 months.

I ran across fresh pressed sunflower oil with a company called Fresh Pressed Farms. They have olive oil, different kinds. The sunflower oil is for a salve I was making. It has almost no taste and smells wonderful, no rancid acrid hints at all. I would imagine the olive oil is as well done as the sunflower oil. They have it on their website and on amazon in 3 flavors. https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Press-Farms-Pressed-Locally/dp/B0BB8MKMHG/
I have no affiliation with that company but I love their product.

Budgets do not usually include expensive oils. I certainly agree with that. So Linda, just use Canola oil.
Also because supposedly, Olive Oils maximum shelf life is 7 months.
I do use canola most of the time. And sometimes sunflower oil, if I can afford it. It's nearly twice the cost of canola. Canola's gotten a bad rap in recent years, that it's supposedly not as good for you as everyone thinks. I gave up trying to keep up with all the "one day it's good for you, the next day it's not" stuff.

I find canola oil has a disagreeable flavor as well. My go-to has been avocado oil, which I can get from the big box stores. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful place to get olive oil and they dispense it in various sized bottles and cans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom