What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason my computer doesn't see my camera. I have pics of the bagels, but can't get them from the camera to the computer....arggh!

Cherry Nut Gateaux.

Had a bit of a mare with this, the cake was domed slightly and I made the icing too runny so it oozed over the sides. I also had problems with applying the green buttercream, as you can see.

Dinner rolls for tonight's pot luck. Nothing's guaranteed baking at 7000 feet elevation:)

Attachments

• DSCN3156.jpg
    DSCN3156.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 223
I made a cast iron skillet corn bread in the Amoretti Test Kitchen. It has jalopy peppers, whole corn kernels, and it is flavor-enhanced with Sweet Corn extract and butter extract.

Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
Ingredients:

· 1¼ cups yellow cornmeal

· 1¼ cups all-purpose flour

· 1 Tbs granulated sugar

· 1½ tsp baking powder

· ½ tsp baking soda

· 1 tsp kosher salt

· 1¾ cups buttermilk

· 1 egg

· 1 Tbs Amoretti Sweet Corn Extract

· ½ tsp Amoretti Butter (5 Fold) Extract

· 1 cup whole kernel corn, fresh, frozen or canned

· ½ cup jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded and chopped

· 4 Tbs shortening for the skillet (Some people use Crisco, some use lard and some use butter. I use bacon fat)

Instructions:

Preheat the oven and a 10-inch cast iron skillet to 425F.

In a medium bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Pour the buttermilk into a small bowl, add the egg and whisk until blended. Add the sweet corn extract and butter extract to the egg and buttermilk mixture.

Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are completely combined. Fold in the corn and the chopped jalapeño.

Put the shortening in the pre-heated skillet and carefully swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth to the edges of the skillet. Bake at 425F for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Last edited:
I can see where you wanted to put the holes. Did they close up in rebellion for something you did or didn't do? But they look beautiful. :angel:

I can see where you wanted to put the holes. Did they close up in rebellion for something you did or didn't do? But they look beautiful. :angel:

I do it that way because I like to make pizza bagels. The sauce does not run through the holes !

Hmm. I see I have a few places to visit for Easter. I'll put on the bunny ears, and you bakers can leave out pieces of your lovely creations for me! I may even take the Easter Beagle.

Bought some cake strips recently, today was my first chance to try them out. They seemed to work well, absolutely no doming on the cake and evenly baked. They do seem to increase the bake time by some time so I'll have to experiment.
Unless someone here has used them and can advise?

It was a Lemon Cream Gateau, I couldn't get any candied lemon so improvised some mini lemons with yellow icing.

Wysh, I have in my fridge a Mason jar filled with softened sweet lemon rind. Easy to make and comes in hand when you didn't think you were going to need it.

I have two different lemon products. One is lemon slices that I keep in the liquid it was cooked in. They are great for placing around the outside of a lemon flavored cake. And the are soft and totally edible. The other slivers of candied lemon rind.

How to Make Candied Lemon Peels - Easy Photo Tutorial

Candied Lemon Slices Recipe - Food.com

Lemon is a favorite flavor in this family. I have even used the slices on the sides and top of a lemon poppy seed bread loaf. :angel:

Bought some cake strips recently, today was my first chance to try them out. They seemed to work well, absolutely no doming on the cake and evenly baked. They do seem to increase the bake time by some time so I'll have to experiment.

It was a Lemon Cream Gateau, I couldn't get any candied lemon so improvised some mini lemons with yellow icing.

Yes, cake strips will slow down the baking. It's keeping the sides cooler so that they bake at the same rate as the center, to prevent the dome.

Wyshiepoo - Cake strips - I've never heard of these. Where did you find them - "Lakeland", my source of all things baking, doesn't seem to have them.

My mother used to put a double strip of brown paper round her Christmas cake tin to prevent the sides of the cake over-cooking, which I suppose would serve the same purpose.

Re the bake time. Yes, I would think they would increase the baking time because the sides f the tin are thicker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom