What are you eating Sunday, February 6, 2022?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We had yeast risen fry bread (called scones in this household), with perfectly cooked bacons, and bear meat sausage. The scones were served with honey-butter, and both strawberry, and raspberry jam, home made by my DIL. I made the European hot chocolate for the family, and all loved it. I made dairy, and sugar free eggnog for myself, as I have to stay away from chocolate. It too came out rich, and perfect, made with rice milk. For my veggie, I cut an eggplant into 1 inch cubes, dressed liberally with oil in a large bowl, seasoned with salt and pepper. It was tossed to thoroughly coat the cubes, and was then placed on a parchment lined baking sheet, and roasted at 450' for 35 minutes. I thought I didn't like eggplant. I was wrong. It was really good. I made half of the roasted eggplant into a dip to spread on some of my scones. That was tasty too. Our guests were gracious, and a great couple of young ladies from our church. They loved the European hot chocolate. It was a very good meal. I've posted recipes for each part, if anyone is interested.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We had Habitant brand, French Canadian pea soup and sandwiches of Gaspesian salami, cheese, lettuce, and mayo on wholegrain wheat toast.

Chief, have you ever tried babaganoush, the eggplant based dip? I think the only other ingredients are tahini, garlic, and a bit of lemon juice.

Chief, have you ever tried babaganoush, the eggplant based dip? I think the only other ingredients are tahini, garlic, and a bit of lemon juice.

That's what I started making, and, well, it just morphed from there. I also added about a quarter cup of Sriracha to add flavor. Besides, Ihad n tahini, or sesame seeds to make my own.:D

And Habitant Pea soup, without the ham, has always been a favorite of both me, and my Dad. I've posted recipes for French Canadian pea soup on DC before.
Seeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

That's what I started making, and, well, it just morphed from there. I also added about a quarter cup of Sriracha to add flavor. Besides, Ihad n tahini, or sesame seeds to make my own.:D

And Habitant Pea soup, without the ham, has always been a favorite of both me, and my Dad. I've posted recipes for French Canadian pea soup on DC before.
Seeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

I much prefer the one without the little cubes of ham. I was quite surprised by that. I had accidentally bought a can with ham. Nope, the one without is better. Now, I make sure to get the right one.

I much prefer the one without the little cubes of ham. I was quite surprised by that. I had accidentally bought a can with ham. Nope, the one without is better. Now, I make sure to get the right one.

I understand that Campbell's is now making the Habitant, and it is more runny, watery than what I grew up with. I'm so glad that I know how to make the soup myself. Campbells also quit making their condensed, split pea soup, replacing it with the Chunky brand. It's not as good, in my opinion.

VanCamp's quit putting that little piece of pork in their cans of pork and beans some ti e ago. My eldest sister and i used to fight over that tidbit:LOL:.

It's great knowing how to make such things as baked beans, por and beans, pea soups, and just knowing how to generally cook. And If I don't know how to make something, I can rely on my friends her at DC for quality instruction, advise, and recipes.

We had spaghetti, green salad and garlic bread.

Vanilla pudding was dessert.

Ross
IMG_20220206_141514092.jpg

I made a small ham and leek quiche. I had picked up a package of pie dough crusts at Aldi last month and decided to use one for the quiche. At the time, Himself kept going on about how lousy they would be - after all, didn't I remember the pre-made crust his sister used almost five decades ago? I remembered... that she used those pastry sticks that you crumbled and mixed with water. Terrible things. He was surprised at how acceptable this crust was. In a pinch it's quick and convenient, but I prefer from scratch still.

Had our first home-grown rabbit stew for supper last night. Was positively amazing! Tender fall off the bone, flavour incredible.

We also had spaghetti and meatballs, but I ran out of spoons and didn't get the salad made. DH made garlic bread with the last of the yeast rolls I made a few days ago.
20220206_194459.jpg

I can a habitant soup from the university extension/nchp for canning w/o ham. I didn't know it was a brand name or a french canadian style soup. I just knew that I liked it and not where it originated.
https://www.bernardin.ca/recipes/en/habitant-soup.htm?Lang=EN-US

"Habitant" is actually a registered trademark. It is now owned by Campbell soups. "Habitant" is the term that was used for the French settler / farmers in Quebec. The name of our hockey team is "Les Habitants Canadiens", often referred to as The Montreal Canadiens. But, for locals, the nickname is the Habs.

In proper French Canadian pea soup, the peas are supposed to be yellow peas, not split peas. Here's the list of ingredients on a can of the Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup: WATER, YELLOW PEAS, LARD, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, ONION POWDER, SPICE.

"Habitant" is actually a registered trademark. It is now owned by Campbell soups. "Habitant" is the term that was used for the French settler / farmers in Quebec. The name of our hockey team is "Les Habitants Canadiens", often referred to as The Montreal Canadiens. But, for locals, the nickname is the Habs.

In proper French Canadian pea soup, the peas are supposed to be yellow peas, not split peas. Here's the list of ingredients on a can of the Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup: WATER, YELLOW PEAS, LARD, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, ONION POWDER, SPICE.

Lol, taxy. To me, my favourite sport, ice hockey, will always sound French Canadian to me from sneaking an old transistor radio into my bed back in the 70s when the Canadiens were great.

Lol, taxy. To me, my favourite sport, ice hockey, will always sound French Canadian to me from sneaking an old transistor radio into my bed back in the 70s when the Canadiens were great.

1980's, my Alma Matter one the MCAA hockey championship twice. Detroit is in Michigan. We're talking Steve Yserman, The Russian 5, you know,
Sergei Fedorov, Vladimir Konstantinov, Slava Kozlov, Slava Fetisov, and Igor Larionov. That team was the closest thing I ever saw to a sports dynasty. They were incredible.

Ok. which team was best will always be a hotly contested topic. I loved the Blackhawks in the early 70's with Bobby, and Dennis Hull, Tony Esposito, etc.

I really dispised Boston as they had Bobby Orr, and were a serious threat for the Blackhawks. So it goes with sports teams. All of them really, have the ability to win on any given match, depending on the refs, the crowd, and just how morale is for that match. They all have good, and bad days.

Back
Top Bottom