What are you eating Thursday, August 31, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and Thank You too! Aunt Bea, the same thing often happens to me - I buy far too many mushrooms. So when cooked, they are not bad but the flavour is off. I'll try to remember to do that too.

DH doesn't like mushrooms, so I often have to keep them for a while. I learned from Rock Lobster (why won't the forum software bring up his username when I type @ and the start of his username?) to make sure that mushrooms are taken out of those baskets with plastic wrap as soon as you get home. Put them in the fridge in a way that will get them lots of air. They may get dry, but that's still usable or you can dry them all the way. They almost never just go off.

@Aunt Bea this past year we came across a deal on mushrooms that only came to $2/lb, so we canned them. Since then we've gotten 2 or 6 lbs at the reduced produce at our grocery store, so I cook them down and let them mostly reabsorb all the liquid, then I freeze them. Often I use those for making gravy. They might be better diced but I didn't take the time to dice them. Maybe next time I will.

dA lot of grocers supply small brown paper bags for loose mushrooms. If that's what I have I just toss them in the fridge. If in the plastic I open insert paper towels in the bottom of the bin, more between and cover them loosely. Last a pretty good time that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom