What are you eating Thursday, August 31, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Salisbury steak, mashed yellows, steamed spinach, and onion gravy.

salisbury_steak_083123_IMG_1498.jpg

@msmofet, you know what they say about imitation!? Thanks for the idea, but I'm making a simplified version. I'm going to make a DH favorite...hamburger steak, corn, taters and mushroom gravy. DH calls it "cafeteria food." And we or he will have homemade vanilla ice cream. He had a hankering and neither the chocolate or the caramel in the freezer would satisfy it...so this afternoon, I slaved (NOT) over making it for him. :ROFLMAO:

I tried another new recipe. I call this an unmitigated success, though I have taken notes on quantities. It was Rice salad with zucchini and smoked salmon. I served some hard cooked eggs and whole grain baguette with that. I got the recipe from the YouTube channel, "Pasta Grannies". We thoroughly enjoyed it. I made a half portion and used a bit more smoked salmon than the recipe recommends (I was skeptical, because the pasta granny didn't measure anything.) I used 35 grams of smoked salmon for a half recipe instead of 25 grams. 25 grams might have been enough. I had to guess on the amount EVOO and will definitely taste my way next time. I put a bit too much. The flavours are all very delicate, so the EVOO was a bit overpowering. We really enjoyed that. My only cheat was to use brown basmati rice instead of their fancy black rice.

Hard cooked eggs and rice salad with zucchini and smoked salmon.jpg
Hard cooked eggs and rice salad with zucchini and smoked salmon 2.jpg

Here's the video with the recipe:

Last edited:
We did a bee check today and then talking which got in the way of inspired cooking. I made mushroom gravy and had that with ww toast. 1/2 meal sized salad, brownie and plum/honey/lemon/water blended over ice.

Cook’s Notes:

Really delicious. It was probably too large a portion, neither of us finished, but lots of leftovers for lunch.

This dish looks fairly simple, and it is, but it was time consuming for prep. Lots of ingredients and technique here.

Photo doesn’t really show the rice and greens well, but they were really good. Lots of wok love, lots of batch cooking and keeping warm and fresh.

Great dish and elements that will be used in other settings.
🫠

@blissful

I was wondering if you would mind sharing your recipe/technique for mushroom gravy.

Thanks, B 💐
First cook 1 lbs of sliced mushrooms, in their own water. Set aside.
Toast 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (or white ww flour) in a pan on the stove, cool.
Then into the flour add:
3 and 3/4 cups cold water or vegetable broth, 4 T soy sauce (or tamari sauce), 4 T nutritional yeast, 1 T prepared dijon mustard, 2 t onion powder, 1 t garlic powder, 1/8 t black pepper, 1 T miso paste, and bring to a boil to thicken. Add in the mushrooms.

First cook 1 lbs of sliced mushrooms, in their own water. Set aside.
Toast 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (or white ww flour) in a pan on the stove, cool.
Then into the flour add:
3 and 3/4 cups cold water or vegetable broth, 4 T soy sauce (or tamari sauce), 4 T nutritional yeast, 1 T prepared dijon mustard, 2 t onion powder, 1 t garlic powder, 1/8 t black pepper, 1 T miso paste, and bring to a boil to thicken. Add in the mushrooms.
Thanks, @blissful !

That gives me the information I need to adapt it to my way of doing things.

I buy a 10 ounce pack of Baby Bella’s every week.

Some weeks I run out mid week other times I get to the end of the week and panic over how best to use them before they go bad.

This will be a big help even if I fry them off and make the gravy a day or two later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom