What are your two favorite kitchen appliances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My two fav, since I assume an oven, cook top and dishwasher are a given, are my stick blender and my sous vide immersion tank.

I love my immersion blenders too (I have one for meat, one for dairy) and I find I use it constantly.

I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CN6Q1Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the same problem I had! I bought a cheap one similar looking to the one on Amazon, loved it so much that I gave it to my future daughter in law and got myself a nice expensive cuisinart one. :wacko: It wouldn't cut anything. I went back and got another cheapie and have been happy since!

That's the same problem I had! I bought a cheap one similar looking to the one on Amazon, loved it so much that I gave it to my future daughter in law and got myself a nice expensive cuisinart one. :wacko: It wouldn't cut anything. I went back and got another cheapie and have been happy since!

Yeah...not too many things surprise me but THAT surprised me too.

Immersion blender. I frequently cook breakfast for 15-25 people, and eggs...and my plastic mandoline. Like others, I have tried some very pricey and fine mandolines, but found a "Genius" plastic job in a thrift store. I thought $12 was a bit high, but went for it. The best. I have been able to find them in ebay occasionally, and bought a second one for home.

Immersion blender. I frequently cook breakfast for 15-25 people, and eggs...and my plastic mandoline. Like others, I have tried some very pricey and fine mandolines, but found a "Genius" plastic job in a thrift store. I thought $12 was a bit high, but went for it. The best. I have been able to find them in ebay occasionally, and bought a second one for home.

I'll bet it's German made...I swear by my Swissmar Borner mandolin. I loved old model but I love this new one even more.
Those Germans know how to make a blade!

"I'll bet it's German made...I swear by my Swissmar Borner mandolin. I loved old model but I love this new one even more.
Those Germans know how to make a blade!"

I swore by those Boerner V Slicers for years. Like this one better. Two thicknesses of julienne and extremely adjustable thickness for slicing, and all one piece. No separate plates or blades. Stores with the blade covered. Even has a spring-loaded box for slicing things like a handful of olives. Genius Speed Slicer.

Last edited:
I cringe anytime I hear or read the word, "mandolin."

I bought my first one about 20 years ago. Used it once, and cut off a fingertip. That finger healed by itself. I sold the mandolin in a garage sale.

About two or three years ago, I bought a really good one on sale at Williams-Sanoma. Used it once, cut off a fingertip. It was still bleeding the next morning, so I had to get it cauterised. I destroyed that mandolin with a sledge-hammer, and threw it away.

It only takes me two fingertips to come to the conclusion that I should not have or use a mandolin.

CD

I bought my first one about 20 years ago. Used it once, and cut off a fingertip. That finger healed by itself. I sold the mandolin in a garage sale.

About two or three years ago, I bought a really good one on sale at Williams-Sanoma. Used it once, cut off a fingertip. It was still bleeding the next morning, so I had to get it cauterised. I destroyed that mandolin with a sledge-hammer, and threw it away.

It only takes me two fingertips to come to the conclusion that I should not have or use a mandolin.

CD
Ye olde fingertip protection ;)
51f-yWYiYAL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Of all the stuff I have in my kitchen, I prefer just using my own "Two Hands!" They work great when you want to mix a large bowl of potato salad, dough, and so many other foods.

CD
I sliced my finger open the first time I used it. I'm very very slow now. My fiancé seemed to think he could do it faster and I warned him but of course he didn't listen and nearly cut his whole tip off :glare:

I sliced my finger open the first time I used it. I'm very very slow now. My fiancé seemed to think he could do it faster and I warned him but of course he didn't listen and nearly cut his whole tip off :glare:
Yeah, it doesn't take long to learn the mandolin lesson...:eek:

I bought these gloves same time I bought my new mandolin. I stuck a carrot down one finger and tried to slice it. Not even a knick. My first mandolin I cut off a finger tip too, which is why I made this a dual buy.

I bought these gloves same time I bought my new mandolin. I stuck a carrot down one finger and tried to slice it. Not even a knick. My first mandolin I cut off a finger tip too, which is why I made this a dual buy.

I've always been curious about those gloves, I like the idea but wonder if it will feel too bulky for me.

I really need to invest in some. I love packages in the mail! :LOL:

My Convection Toaster Oven and the Immersion Blender.

I hate my KitchenAid toaster oven...sooner or later I will replace it but the price tag and the fact that it still works fine (well, that's a general term) I just can't commit yet.

What kind of convection/toaster oven do you have? What do you think are the best and worst features of the unit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom