What can I do with a cast iron griddle except for pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know there is a cast iron (CI, for short) recipe for pizza somewhere. Not sure if it is thin or not. There is also the bread buns that are amazing. Cooked in the oven in a cast iron pan.
This is compliments of member salt and pepper

1/4 cup beer
5 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast + 1 cup water
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups of flour
let rise till doubled
on a floured surface cut dough into 8 pcs
roll into balls and place into a lightly greased CI pan. I used a chicken fryer.
brush wth melted butter.
let rise for 20 minutes and place in a preheated 375 degree oven nd bake till golden brown, about 20 minutes. remove from oven and brush with melted butted and a sprinkle of salt.
could this be made with 1 teaspoon of sugar?

why the amount of flour is not fixed? because of variations of different flours?

i don't have such a large griddle. maybe the recipe can be made with half of the ingredients.. i guess there is no problem.

I'm not a big proponent of changing a recipe, especially baking unless I've already made it several times. I suggest you just search for a recipe that will give you the amount you need with the ingredients you're willing to use.

I'm not a big proponent of changing a recipe, especially baking unless I've already made it several times. I suggest you just search for a recipe that will give you the amount you need with the ingredients you're willing to use.
could this be made with 1 teaspoon of sugar?

why the amount of flour is not fixed? because of variations of different flours?

i don't have such a large griddle. maybe the recipe can be made with half of the ingredients.. i guess there is no problem.
There's no reason this recipe couldn't be halved, nor do I see any reason the sugar couldn't be reduced. Pizza dough doesn't need that much sugar. For that amount of yeast and flour, I use a teaspoon of sugar, and mix it in with the warm water and yeast to give the yeast a good boost to get it started. BTW, the beer needs to be room temperature, not cold from refrigerator.

Yes, what Badjak said about the flour. I don't normally weigh flour, only when I'm making something more complicated than pizza dough, but I do use less flour to start with because you can always add more, but can't take it away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom