What did you eat Wednesday, April 24, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here taxy, maybe these will help you visualize them. These are all the same clam - different views

20240425_135827.jpg
inside

20240425_135835.jpg
outside

20240425_135911.jpg
closed up

20240425_135924.jpg
closed side showing hinge end

20240425_135929.jpg
side view

20240425_135937.jpg
.top view

I don't think those are actually cockles. The ones that dragn showed don't seem to have ribs on the shells. According to Wikipedia, many small bivalves that look like cockles are locally called cockles. All the pictures of cockles on Wikipedia show ribs on the outside of the cockle shells.

LOL, medtran, I'm not going to split hairs on 1 oz of the fettuccine for a recipe. I just split it in two. 1 oz would not make a meal I could eat later.
Didn't mean that you should. I was simply sharing that 6 ounces or so made 2 meals with some leftover. I actually threw the extra away.

medtran, what would you and Craig call those clams?
I don't care about their "official" name, local names are good enough for me.
Yes, I understand 'cockles' have vertical as well as horizontal ribs, but I only really think of maybe 3 /4 categories. Oysters, Clams, Mussels. I guess to me cockles always just came under the Clams have thick shells, I category as their shells were similar in thickness. Oysters have "shaggy" shells. Mussels have oval, much thinner shells.

taxy, I believe 'cockles' are more common and popular in the British Isles rather than here. I don't think I've ever seen them at a fish mongers.
Going even further, .... both cockles and clams have a foot.

I guess anything further on this dinner thread about the bi-valves will have to be in another thread... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
medtran, what would you and Craig call those clams?
I don't care about their "official" name, local names are good enough for me.
Yes, I understand 'cockles' have vertical as well as horizontal ribs, but I only really think of maybe 3 /4 categories. Oysters, Clams, Mussels. I guess to me cockles always just came under the Clams have thick shells, I category as their shells were similar in thickness. Oysters have "shaggy" shells. Mussels have oval, much thinner shells.

taxy, I believe 'cockles' are more common and popular in the British Isles rather than here. I don't think I've ever seen them at a fish mongers.
Going even further, .... both cockles and clams have a foot.

I guess anything further on this dinner thread about the bi-valves will have to be in another thread... :mrgreen:
We've had or seen them at least once, but I can't remember what they were called. Craig said some variety of soft shell steamer/Ipswich type clam.

Good enough for me! Clams they be!
We've had or seen them at least once, but I can't remember what they were called.
I looked back at old posts and remembered where we had them, a Vietnamese place.

The White Hard Clam (Meretrix lyrata) is an edible saltwater clam. A marine bivalve mollusk. They grow naturally and develop well on the sand around the coastline of Vietnam in the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited:
There are so many names for seafoods around the US, and around the world. I regularly have to do a web search on fishies and other sea creatures, to discover, "Oh, that's a..."

CD

Back
Top Bottom