What goes with Chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about sweet potatoes? Hubby and I had some FAB sweet taters the other night and I'm going to try to replicate them tonight to serve with our chili...
Par boil skinned sweet potato wedges, dry well, then deep fry in canola or peanut oil. Sprinkle with a tad of cinn-sugar, fresh out of the oil...;)

Chili goes really good with Mac & Cheese. Put a scoop of M&C to one side of a bowl fill the other side with Chili.

Top Chili with BBQ corn chips. Great combo.

WOW, lotsw of ideas for chilli. My husband will not eat beans, so I usually just add macaroni instead (and throw in beans for myself). Now mabye next time I will serve it beanless over rice!

At our house chil can be served with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and onions. But it's best with a big wedge of cornbread. Chili and cornbread just seem to go together.

Darn it, I've been fighting the urge for cornbread all week. Now I'm going to have to make it.

I like the cornbread that everyone else suggested. But another few of our favorites are fresh veggies with Ranch dip, or tuna salad sandwiches...believe it or not, it is a terrific combination!

Either cornbread, especially jalapeño cornbread, or warm buttered tortillas. I prefer flour tortillas but I can eat corn tortillas if I must.

Either cornbread, especially jalapeño cornbread, or warm buttered tortillas. I prefer flour tortillas but I can eat corn tortillas if I must.

You've inspired me to reply to this topic. I prefer flour tortillas too although I expect most people may prefer corn tortillas over flour.

I like white rice with chili but I'd be happy to have some cornbread with that. Ordinarily I prefer plain cornbread but I think jalapeno cornbread would go particularly well with chili.

I also like making chili tacos. I heat flour tortillas and then add the chili, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, sliced lettuce or cabbage, and guacamole. Salsa or taco sauce topping optional.

I have an odd way of heating tortillas. I just toss them on an open gas burner under high flame, quickly flip them a few times until lightly browned.

I used to add the grated jalapeno jack cheese to the cornbread. Then also served the same cheese with the chili. :yum:

My parents were introduced to chili when Daddy got stationed to Reno, NV. It was rather soupy, and we ate it with saltine crackers.

For awhile my husband had to reduce his meat intake, so I made vegetarian chili a lot. Then carbs became an issue, so I do more of a meat chili. My friends like my New Mexico Green Chili Stew and my Cincinnati chili, which are another story entirely (the former has potatoes in it, the latter is pure meat and is eaten with oysterettes-type crackers or on spaghetti noodles.

My parents were introduced to chili when Daddy got stationed to Reno, NV. It was rather soupy, and we ate it with saltine crackers.

For awhile my husband had to reduce his meat intake, so I made vegetarian chili a lot. Then carbs became an issue, so I do more of a meat chili. My friends like my New Mexico Green Chili Stew and my Cincinnati chili, which are another story entirely (the former has potatoes in it, the latter is pure meat and is eaten with oysterettes-type crackers or on spaghetti noodles.

l love oysterette crackers. I always have them on hand for tomato or chicken noodle soup.:yum:

It's a southern tradition!

Spicy Chili topped with shredded jack & cheddar, maybe some diced onion if you like...along with some sweet coleslaw & homemade buttery cornbread!! :chef: OOooo so good together!

Last edited by a moderator:
I often put a bowl of corn chips on the table, and a bowl of sour cream...for anyone who can afford the extra calories. I also like to smother my personal bowl of chili with finely chopped lettuce.

Mexican cornbread is good with chili. (jalepenos, cream cheese and creamed corn baked in the bread)

Fritos are an exceptionally delicious topping for chili, especially honey bbq flavor.

Back
Top Bottom