What is you favorite appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what is turkish borek? (i really hope i'm not walking into a joke here... like what's a dickfer)

I love so many of the things already metioned. The one that I will add to the list is watermellon rind wrapped in bacon.

Oh and there must be something wrong with me. I do not know what turkish borek are either :oops:

after all of this, i still don't know what is turkish borek.

and yes crewsk, i do know what a dickfer is, as well as asphinctersayswhat...lol.

OK, I went googling to find out what this stuff is here is what I found:

"Borek is a dish for special occasions and requires great skill and patience, unless you have thin sheets of dough already rolled out bought from your corner grocery store. Anyone who can accomplish this delicate task using the rolling pin, becomes the most sought-out person in their circle of family and friends. The sheets are then layered or folded into various shapes before being filled with cheese or meat mixes and baked or fried. Every household enjoys at least five different varieties of borek as a regular part of its menu."

I found this at http://www.turkishpeople.com/food/articles/ministry/4a.htm I hope this answeres the question somewhat!

Its called Hanky Panky..............everyone I make it for loves it. Its ground beef and ground italian sausage.....some garlic salt and velvetta cheese and you serve it on pumpernickle bread. Its so good :)

Merstar,

A big thank you for your spinach-parmesan stuffed mushrooms (see top of page 2), that were a HUGE hit today! This one is a keeper in the permanent repertoire! And I handed out two printouts...sinfully plugging Discuss Cooking while I was at it!

Delicious! ;)

Sorry - I've been traveling around to Christmas markets in Germany and haven't been around recently. Borek.... actually spelled Börek... are these pastry-based appetizers that have varied and delicious fillings. True börek dough is difficult to make, but can be purchased from Turkish mail-order companies. It's different than phyllo dough, but you can substitute that for Börek dough. Phyllo is raw and börek dough is cooked already. Anyway, there are different ways of ROLLING the dough (and of course, the ingredients therein), but they are always fried in oil. You can roll triangles into "cigars" or fold them like a flag into triangles. You can also use a baking dish to make layers and then cut them like baklava. Anyway you do it, they are simply delicious if you use authenic Turkish ingredients. Here's a link to get you started (btw... this is just the place we order from when we are in the US, I'm not advertising this place and am not affiliated with them in any way).

http://www.bestturkishfood.com/mb.php

Shrimp wrapped in bacon.

I got this recipe out of an old softcover cookbook that I bought many years ago. The book long since fell apart and I cannot remember if it is the exact recipe or if I've modified it, but it's always among my favourite hors d'oeuvres.

I use a pound of bacon, with the slices cut in half. You need an equal number of medium-sized cooked shrimp, thawed. Nothing fancy, just a bag of frozen shrimp from Safeway. Use a bottle of seafood sauce (like Crosse & Blackwell) to which you've added crushed garlic, to your taste. Marinate the shrimp in the sauce for an hour. Semi-cook the bacon so that you're still able to wrap it around the shrimp. Secure with a toothpick and broil until the bacon is cooked. Drain and serve.

My all-time favourite is Hot Asparagus Roll-Ups. This recipe freezes well.

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.

20 slices thin white bread
3 oz. blue cheese, softened
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg beaten
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
Asparagus spears
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

Trim crust from bread and flatten slices with a rolling pin. Mix cheeses, egg, garlic salt and cayenne. Fold in onions. Spread bread slices generously and evenly with cheese mixture. Roll an asparagus spear in each slice of bread, sealing well by using a little cheese mixture to bind edge to roll. At this point, these can be frozen and thawed as needed. Roll each canapé in butter and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley.

(From a cookbook called "Jambalaya" published by the Junior League of New Orleans)

Back
Top Bottom