What is your favorite Chinese dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have found that I love anything on the menu that says "Cantonese Style", don't know how it differs from other regional styles, but they're the best!

Omigosh, as someone has already said, there are so many good dishes, it's hard to choose.

Although, I do really, really like cashew chicken. Egg drop soup is my number 1 choice for soup. If we're at a buffet-style restaurant, I'll start my meal with egg drop soup and, instead of dessert, I usually finish with another bowl of egg drop soup. That's how much I like it.

Buck and I found a new Chinese restaurant in our area that we just love and had our "date day" lunch there this last Saturday. We left very happy campers. Yum, yum, double yum!! The cashew chicken there was practically 50/50 cashews to chicken. Big whole cashews, too. I was in heaven.

Buck usually chooses General Taso's Chicken and hot and sour soup.

I generally like Thai & vietnamese food more than chinease. Chinease is one of those cuisines that get tired of quickly but my favorite would probably be general tso chicken.

Ncage

ncage1974 said:
I generally like Thai & vietnamese food more than chinease. Chinease is one of those cuisines that get tired of quickly but my favorite would probably be general tso chicken.

Ncage
I guess you have not tasted authentic Chinese fare, otherwise you would not have got tired of it. :) There are basically 8 types of Chinese cuisines - Northern (Shandong, Beijing), Sichuan, Canton, Fujian, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Hunan, and Anhui, with Sichuan and Cantonese being the most popular.

Boufa, I was about to write pretty much what you did. So many people think that "Chinese" is one kind of food: The kind served up by the restaurants in their neighborhood. That's why I cannot pick one favorite dish. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I remember once sitting down with a Chinese friend and having someone ask her if different Chinese people actually speak different languages. She proceeded to tell them how to say one sentence in 3 or 4 dialects (needless to say she had much higher education than I), and it didn't even sound vaguely the same. The food simply is not the same.

Cantonese, to my palate, has less seasoning. On the other hand, it really stresses fresh vegetables, lightly cooked.

My favorite style is northern (scechuan), with a heavier sauce and lots of spices.

But there are probably hundreds of styles.

And I can't get any of them!

I like egg-foo-young, beef-fried and chicken-fried rice, or house-fried rice, lobster sauce and gravy.

But as of late, I've been asking the waiter to have the cooks omit the MSG. The food tastes much better and it's not overly salted!

Claire said:
Boufa, I was about to write pretty much what you did. So many people think that "Chinese" is one kind of food: The kind served up by the restaurants in their neighborhood. That's why I cannot pick one favorite dish. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I remember once sitting down with a Chinese friend and having someone ask her if different Chinese people actually speak different languages. She proceeded to tell them how to say one sentence in 3 or 4 dialects (needless to say she had much higher education than I), and it didn't even sound vaguely the same. The food simply is not the same.

Cantonese, to my palate, has less seasoning. On the other hand, it really stresses fresh vegetables, lightly cooked.

My favorite style is northern (scechuan), with a heavier sauce and lots of spices.

But there are probably hundreds of styles.

And I can't get any of them!

Thanks for some explanation. No wonder I like the Cantonese stuff, very fresh tasting, but beautifully prepared.

Does anyone know the differences between all the styles? How Hunan differs from Scechuan, Cantonese, etc...?

ok- I may be dating myself here but,when I was little and we went to "chinese restaurants".We would order the food from columns so my favorites are EVERYTHING in column A (which was usually the appetizers) and EVERYTHING in columns B &C!!! and pistachio ice cream with a fortune cookie for dessert!
Love and energy, Vicki

i love shrimp! i'll eat anything with shrimps in it... well almost anything and my fav is shrimp with lobster sauce. i don't know why they call it that as there'e no lobster in it :rolleyes:

I agree anything with Shrimp; Hot & Sour Soup; Sesame Noodles; Scallion cakes; Shrimp or Crab Dim Sum;

There's a Chinese, Thai, Japanese place that I love their Miso and Sushi.

Flourgirl said:
Thanks for some explanation. No wonder I like the Cantonese stuff, very fresh tasting, but beautifully prepared.

Does anyone know the differences between all the styles? How Hunan differs from Scechuan, Cantonese, etc...?
Although there are many regional Chinese cuisines, the best known ones are the following:

Shandong Cuisine

It is clean, pure, not greasy, and is characterized by its emphasis on aroma, freshness, crispness and tenderness. Shallots and garlic are frequently used giving dishes a pungent taste. Thin clear as well as strong-tasting creamy soups are common. Mainstays include deep-fried, grilled, pan-fried, and stir-fried dishes. Bird's Nest Soup is perhaps the best known dish.

Sichuan Cuisine

Known in the West as Szechuan, is one of the most famous Chinese cuisines in the world. Characterized by its spicy and pungent flavors, Sichuan cuisine, with a myriad of tastes, emphasizes the use of chili. Pepper and prickly ash are always in accompaniment, producing the typical exciting tastes. Garlic, ginger and fermented soybean are also used in the cooking process. Typical dishes are Hot Pot, Smoked Duck, Kung Pao Chicken, Twice Cooked Pork, Mapo Dofu.

Guangdong Cuisine (Cantonese Cuisine)

Tasting clean, light, crisp and fresh, Guangdong cuisine, familiar to Westerners, usually has fowl and other meats that produce its unique dishes. The basic cooking techniques include roasting, stir-frying, sauteing, deep-frying, braising, stewing and steaming. Typical dishes are Shark Fin Soup, Steamed Sea Bass, and Roast Piglet.

Fujian Cuisine

It is renowned for its choice seafood, beautiful color and magical tastes of sweet, sour, salt, and savory. The most distinct feature is the "pickled taste". Some typical Fujian dishes are Buddha Jumping Over the Wall, Snow Chicken, and Prawns with Dragon's Body and Phoenix's tail.

Jiangsu Cuisine

Jiangsu Cuisine, also called Huaiyang Cuisine, is popular in the lower reaches of the Yangtze River. Using fish and crustaceans as the main ingredients, it stresses their freshness. Cooking techniques consist of stewing, braising, roasting, and simmering. Typical Jiangsu dishes are Stewed Crab with Clear Soup, Long-boiled and Dry-shredded Meat, Duck Triplet, Crystal Meat, and Liangxi Crisp Eel.

Zhejiang Cuisine

It is non-greasy and wins its reputation for freshness, tenderness, softness, and smoothness of its dishes with their mellow fragrance. Typical dishes are Sour West Lake Fish, Longjing Shelled Shrimp, Beggar's Chicken.

Hunan Cuisine

It is characterized by thick and pungent flavors. Chili, pepper and shallot are usually necessities. Typical dishes are Dongan Chicken, Peppery and Hot Chicken.

Anhui Cuisine

Anhui Cuisine focuses much more attention on the temperature in cooking and are good at braising and stewing. Often ham as well as candied sugar are added to improve taste. Typical dishes are Stewed Snapper and Huangshan Braised Pigeon.

It should be noted, however, that to the regional Chinese cuisines of mainland China must be added their counterparts that emigrant Chinese took with them to other parts of the world where they evolved in new directions. Most notably Chinese emigration to Southeast Asia dating back to the Portuguese colony of Malacca has created over the years exciting variations of classical Chinese regional cuisines in Malaysia and Singapore, both of which have large Chinese communities with a culture that has evolved in a way that blended traditional Chinese as well as local elements to produce a distinct and unique cultural identity.

Chinese cuisines in Malaysia and Singapore are mainly Cantonese, Hokkien, Hainanese, Teochew and Hakka. These cuisines are generally milder compared to Malay or Indian fare but due to the influence of the multi-ethnicity of these countries, they have taken on a spicier touch, often reinventing classic Chinese dishes. Many of these dishes are unique and not found in China. Chillies are used frequently to bestow fiery hotness to many of the dishes, such as the famous Chilli Crab.

Most of the Singaporean Chinese have their roots in the southern part of China, particularly Guangdong (Canton) and Fujian (Hokkien). The province they came from determines the Chinese dialect they speak. In a similar fashion, many Chinese dishes are identified with the dialect group they originated from, such as Teochew Porridge and Fishball Noodles, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Hakka Yong Tau Foo, Fried Hokkien Noodles, and so on.

The Chinese cuisine in Singapore has been infused with strong Southeast Asian elements. For example, the use of chilli and local spices has made Singaporean Chinese cuisine more feisty and tasteful compared to those found in China. Such fare can range from the subtle Cantonese to the fiery Sichuan. Rice is the staple in most Chinese cuisines. However, noodles made from several types of flour and cooked in a variety of styles are also popular. A Chinese meal will usually consist of rice accompanied by small portions of several types of meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables.

Although a minor regional cuisine in China, the Teochew cuisine, originating from the area around Shantou, figures prominently in Singapore. It is a style noted for its delicacy and natural flavours. Seafood is a specialty. Teochew cooking uses gentle roasting and steaming, with only a touch of animal fat and seasonings. A major part of Teochew cooking is the crystal clear soups, which are achieved by very low simmering, thus giving them a clean, light taste. Classic dishes include Steamed Fish and Braised Goose or Duck.

Although chillies are a local addition to Chinese cuisine in Singapore, Singaporean Chinese take them very seriously. They are apt to patronize a place simply for the fact that the chilli condiment that goes with certain dishes has been prepared "just so". In fact, Hainanese Chicken Rice chefs sometimes earn their customers' loyalty on the strength of their chilli sauce alone. So when it comes to condiments, do not be surprised to find chilli sauce, chilli paste or cut chillies, alongside traditional Chinese condiments such as salt or sweet soya sauce

Honestly I keep defaulting to curried vermicelli, pererently house style (aka singapore style rice noodles). I tend to judge restaurants on how they make them since it's a tricky dish, and too easy to make too oily or not spicy enough.

I have been suffering for a severe case of Lo Mein withdrawl the past few weeks. I've been trying various local Asian restaurants around here, but haven't found one that I'm happy with. I bought some shrimp a few days ago, and some small pork chops, so I can make some Lo Mein myself. I just need to go get some Nappa Cabbage.

Shallow Fried Prawn Sections in Tomato Sauce
Moo Shu Pork
Anything Szechwan
Hot and Sour Soup
Combination Fried Rice
Chinese Spare Ribs
Anything Hunan
Crab Rangoon
Sweet and Sour Everything
Twice Cooked Pork
Chicken with Cashews
Singapore Chow Rice Noodle