What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the snow...we do get it here in Oz, but not were I am

Snowed a bit in England when I was there :)

Snowing off and on today. Currently 34°F, but only because the wind has died down. Expecting 23°F for the low tonight.

I always think of Montana, Wyoming as having very cold, snowy and windy winters. Add the Dakotas to that list also.

I have to tell you a story. I was dating a feller from North Dakota. He got word that his father was very sick. His mother needed him to come home and help with the farm. It was located on the prarie. He asked me to go back with him. I took one look at him and told him, "If I stepped outside in the middle of winter you wouldn't find me until the spring thaw." He gave up the idea. He went back alone.

I love the snow...we do get it here in Oz, but not were I am

Snowed a bit in England when I was there :)

Have you never seen a big snowstorm? The kind where it is up to your knees? It can be fun depending on your age. Kids love it. No school, plenty of snow to play in. Adults hate it. So dang much shoveling unless you have a snowblower. But everyone loves to get out in it the next day and make snowgirls and snowmen. The next day is usually cold and very sunny. Perfect weather for play for everyone. :angel:

Hey Addie :)

No, I have not seen that much snow...only covering my shoes, but not my knees :ohmy:

I've seen snow that I had to stand on tiptoe to see over. That's five foot (1.5 m) of snow. That didn't include the drifts, that was on the flat.

OMG...your kidding!

That is unreal Fiona :ohmy:

It's not unreal, it's winter...and I love it! The 5 foot of snow has only happened a couple of times, but I've been in lots of snowfalls that are 3-4 feet deep. It's typical for us to get at least one snowfall that is more than 0.3 m to 1 m. If we get a good one this year, I'll be sure to post a picture.

OMG...your kidding!

That is unreal Fiona :ohmy:

No she is not. She lives just below Canada. There are a lot of moutains and plains where she lives. Both areas get a lot of snow. Specially the plains. They get a lot of drifts that can be 10 feet high. One of the good things about a big snowstorm is that you get to meet your neighbors. If you have an elderly person that lives in your neighborhood, someone will go and shovel them out and check to make sure they are all right. If they know there is a single mother with small children, the folks in the neighborhood will do the same. Big storms bring out the best in us.

PF lives in cattle country. A lot of ranches. Mostly Black Angus cattle. The best kind. Black Angus don't do too well in the Southwest like Texas and Oklahoma. I would sell the blood of my first born to live where she lives. I love country living where you have to drive ten or more miles just to go in town to get a loaf of bread. Come to think, for that distance you bake your own. You are lucky if you get to town once a month unless you have a job there. PF lives in a city where the cattle are shipped out to feed lots or directly to slaughter houses if they are strictly range fed. Black Angus don't fare very well on corn. Their systems are more sensitive than Hereford cattle. As a result, their meat is more flavorful and more tender. :angel:

It's not unreal, it's winter...and I love it! The 5 foot of snow has only happened a couple of times, but I've been in lots of snowfalls that are 3-4 feet deep. It's typical for us to get at least one snowfall that is more than 0.3 m to 1 m. If we get a good one this year, I'll be sure to post a picture.

Can't say that I blame you. A good snowfall is a beautiful sight. :angel:

Was so hot yesterday, this morning it's overcast and cold. Hubby just came home with loads of washing, hope the rain holds off till it's dry! Near by town have had hale the size of tennis balls, I'm so scared it comes our way. Hubby is borrowing my dad's car and it's not under cover. Think I'll run away if it gets damaged :(

I love Winter too :)

That will be great, would love to see a photo if you get a good one :)

It is 46F now & cool outside. We are expecting some snow this weekend in SE South Dakota.

Sounds good SB, do you like the snow?
I like winter much better than summer. Do I like the snow? I do not like shoveling it, moving it, scraping windows, driving in a blizzard with a "white out" & getting frostbite. But there is nothing more beautiful than an evening outside while it's snowing. It is wonderful how a blizzard just brings a community together in so many ways. It is fun to play in the snow watching the kids, & the kids at heart, sledding down the hills & making snowmen & snow forts with all the snowball fights.:) Or, the crisp noise when you walk on new fallen snow in the moonlight. One of the best things is cross country skiing in the country around sundown. The smells are indescribable: So fresh, thin ice by the creek & to listen to the water running or when the geese take off & you can just see the ice on their wings & the beautiful sky all the orange, purple, yellow & pink sunsets over snow packed hills & praries. So, do I like snow? Well, maybe.

SB, you forgot; On a clear crisp winter night, full moon and looking up at the sky full of twinkling stars while walking on new fallen snow. Winter can be truly a Winter Wonderland.

So I have an idea folks. For those of us that live in the north or in the mountains where we get snow, lets take some pictures this year for our snowless members and call it "Winter Wonderland." Take pictures of all the wonderful things SB mentions in her eloquent post. Every season has its own beauty, but there is something so awe inspiring about winter right after a large snowfall. It makes you want to have a big mug of hot chocolate with a big spoonful of Marshmallow Fluff on top. :angel:

SB, you forgot; On a clear crisp winter night, full moon and looking up at the sky full of twinkling stars while walking on new fallen snow. Winter can be truly a Winter Wonderland.

So I have an idea folks. For those of us that live in the north or in the mountains where we get snow, lets take some pictures this year for our snowless members and call it "Winter Wonderland." Take pictures of all the wonderful things SB mentions in her eloquent post. Every season has its own beauty, but there is something so awe inspiring about winter right after a large snowfall. It makes you want to have a big mug of hot chocolate with a big spoonful of Marshmallow Fluff on top. :angel:
Thank you addie, well said! That is a great idea about the pictures too.:angel:

I like winter much better than summer. Do I like the snow? I do not like shoveling it, moving it, scraping windows, driving in a blizzard with a "white out" & getting frostbite. But there is nothing more beautiful than an evening outside while it's snowing. It is wonderful how a blizzard just brings a community together in so many ways. It is fun to play in the snow watching the kids, & the kids at heart, sledding down the hills & making snowmen & snow forts with all the snowball fights.:) Or, the crisp noise when you walk on new fallen snow in the moonlight. One of the best things is cross country skiing in the country around sundown. The smells are indescribable: So fresh, thin ice by the creek & to listen to the water running or when the geese take off & you can just see the ice on their wings & the beautiful sky all the orange, purple, yellow & pink sunsets over snow packed hills & praries. So, do I like snow? Well, maybe.

Yes, the look of snow, the fun you can have in it all sound great...but the first things you mentioned sound like a real hassle :LOL:

It is now 23°F...supposed to get to 16°F. I plan on walking in the morning. Wishing for snow, not just cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom