What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're expecting the storm to hit late Tuesday/early Wednesday. It's going to screw up travel on the east coast. SO's son and DIL are scheduled to fly up Wed. night. I hope they are not delayed too long.

You had a drivers ed course? We drove on the streets.

We had a drivers' ed. class in high school. Complete with a huge blacktopped course and about a dozen cars. It was somebody's brainstorm that they haven't done in a long time.
I had my license already, so I could drive on the streets with the instructor and a back seat full of kids.

That big paved area was popular for a lot of things, including donuts in the winter. Not the kind of donuts we always picked up with the one instructor.

We used shopping center parking lots for that stuff.

That'll work. This area was dark with no light poles though. And it sat up above the two roads bordering it. It was perfect. Nobody knew you were up there unless you had your headlights on and no fear of hitting anyting unless you got stupid.
Winters of days gone by... :mellow:

I looked at the radar and it looks like Carol is getting the bulk of that snow. Nothing up here on the lake... yet.

Most winters, after the first good snowfall, I drive over to the mall after they close. They have a really big parking lot. I practice winter maneuvers. There are usually other people there doing that too, but there is plenty of room.

Bitter cold today. High of 16F today. It's 10F now & they're talking colder on the overnight. Brrrrr

Sunny, the temp steadily dropped, and the wind picked up. 18°F here along the river.

Not so cold, 2 C (36 F), feels like -2 C (28 F) and it's snowing. We are expecting 15-25 cm (6"-10") of the white stuff. I think I'll avoid driving tomorrow. Every year some people forget how to drive on snow, and it's not fun driving with them on the road. We sometimes get people who panic and just leave their car in the middle of the road. :wacko:

The car windows are looking pretty frosty out there this morning & the cats don't even want to be out for more than a few minutes....it must be cold!

We are around 30 degrees this morning. We had 4 inches of snow when we got up yesterday then it rained all day. We were supposed to get another 3-5 inches but we only got about an inch overnight. I don't know if there is more snow coming or not.

Winter tires. I haven't bought winter tires since the advent of All Season radials decades ago. Of course, I don't live as far north as you. I've always been able to do OK with All Season tires and front wheel drive. My last car was rear wheel drive and that was an adventure in the snow.

A great deal depends on your tire brand. It has been my experience for some time that Bridgestone tires absolutely suck in wet/snow conditions. On my previous rear drive car, it was like magic when I replaced the Bridgestones that came on the car with Michelins. All of a sudden I had traction!

Andy, not being a driver, I once asked a friend what was the difference between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive. His answer was very educational.

"If you had an elastic and was climbing a mountain, which would you rather do? Push the elastic up the mountain, or pull it up." I understood immediately. :angel:

When I got up around 6 am, it was 68 degrees; now it's 45. Been raining most of the morning and it's supposed to continue raining most of the day. The temperature will continue to drop and we might have some snow this evening. Time to get my baking going.

Pretty warm here. Around 30 I'd say. Wettest snow I've ever seen.
Yeah, that snow is very wet and heavy. The 12 cm (~5") that the Weather Network says we got looks more like 7 or 8 cm (~3"), since it has been packing down and melting. It's been above freezing by 1 degree C since 02h00 (AM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom