What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s 41°F here today, with the predicted high of 59°. Looks like I’m going to have to start telling tourists again that “desert” means dry, not hot!

Hey Ross, is your lovely Jeannie still there with you? Is she going to tough it out in MO, or did she hightail it back to CA for the winter?

Guess what? It's raining...again. If the weather prediction is right, we should end up with about 1 1/2 inches of rain by the time this ends early Tuesday afternoon. Better than snow...which might show up on Thursday.

Princess weather here. She would love it... I could do without it.

It's about 30F right now. The forecast is for 28 tonight. Really windy, too.

CD

Hey Ross, is your lovely Jeannie still there with you? Is she going to tough it out in MO, or did she hightail it back to CA for the winter?

Guess what? It's raining...again. If the weather prediction is right, we should end up with about 1 1/2 inches of rain by the time this ends early Tuesday afternoon. Better than snow...which might show up on Thursday.
Yup... Jeannie is determined to stick it out this winter... :LOL:
We had our first snow yesterday but we stayed in.. We shall see what lies ahead on the weather front.. ;)

Ross

Princess weather here. She would love it... I could do without it.

It's about 30F right now. The forecast is for 28 tonight. Really windy, too.

CD
:LOL::ROFLMAO: I do love it, except for the wind.

We are having a heat wave...29F, supposed to get to 52F today. A little warmer the next few days and then back to my favorite outside temps. Still not much snow to speak of.

Attachments

• DSCN8314.jpg
    DSCN8314.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 84
I think most insurance policies have fire coverage, at least in CA. Not sure about other states. From what I've heard, high risk areas here (canyons, etc.) require additional fire coverage at a much higher cost these days. I know my daughter and SIL had to buy extra coverage, they live near the foothills in the Santa Clarita Valley.

I can't imagine NOT having fire insurance, mortgage or not - just too big of a risk.

And yes Caslon, the fires are heartbreaking. I was up in Paradise, CA several years ago and now that quaint little mountain town, along with many lives, is gone. :(

In this tragedy and people saying they will rebuild, is that because they had fire insurance? As was said earlier, if you owned your home outright, fire insurance wasn't mandatory. How much was fire insurance for the average home, per year? $2500?

Last edited:
In this tragedy and people saying they will rebuild, is that because they had fire insurance? As was said earlier, if you owned your home outright, fire insurance wasn't mandatory.

Caslon, unless the fire victims come forward and announce their own situation publicly, how would anyone know this information?

Last edited:
Caslon, unless the fire victims come forward and announce their own situation publicly, how would anyone know this information?

Ballpark estimation then for that area. Locals will be able to tell us. It might have been more advantageous to have had a mortgage requiring fire insurance. As opposed to those poor souls whose property was paid off and didn't necessarily require fire insurance, and opted out. How many were they?

Last edited:
Ballpark estimation then for that area. Locals will be able to tell us. It might have been more advantageous to have had a mortgage requiring fire insurance. As opposed to those poor souls whose property was paid off and didn't necessarily require fire insurance, and opted out. How many were they?

Why is this so important to you, Caslon??? Families were incinerated in their cars trying to escape, for crying out loud! :cry: Immeasurable amounts of wildlife and pets perished and there are thousands homeless. Shouldn't that be the freakin' focus?

Call an insurance agent up there if you need a "ballpark estimate" so badly - if you can find one whose business wasn't burned down, that is. I'm done with this subject.

Last edited:
Understood, I think. If you had a mortgage, was is mandatory that you carry fire insurance?

That is the way it is in Mass.

At one time the holder of the mortgage used to make you pay your yearly property taxes as soon as the bills hit the mail, to the bank to hold until they were due. They didn't pay interest on any of it and the courts deemed that the practice was illegal. My sister got a huge amount of interest that by rules of the court order, would have been paid from day one if the bank had not been holding the property taxes illegally.

That is the way it is in Mass.

At one time the holder of the mortgage used to make you pay your yearly property taxes as soon as the bills hit the mail, to the bank to hold until they were due. They didn't pay interest on any of it and the courts deemed that the practice was illegal. My sister got a huge amount of interest that by rules of the court order, would have been paid from day one if the bank had not been holding the property taxes illegally.
Here in Quebec, most mortgage lenders will, if you want, take an extra amount on your mortgage payments and pay the property for you out of that. Yes, they pay interest on the property tax account. They have done that at least since the late 1980s, when I bought my first house. I find it very convenient that I don't have to think about the payments for property tax. I wouldn't dream of telling the bank not to do that for me. If there isn't enough in my property tax account to cover the tax payments, the bank pays it anyways and just increases the amount they take for each mortgage payment to catch up. They spread it out over the period until next the payments are billed the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom