What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very gusty, windy day here. The denuded, 80 to 100 foot trees surrounding my house were really swaying. My wife was worried about one giant hickory in the backyard that barely had any leaves this past summer.

We got a price of $300 cash to have it cut and roped down last fall so long as the tree guys can keep and haul away the old hickory wood.

I'm tempted to drop it myself and sell the wood for a profit.
That's what I would do. You must have a chain saw. I would notch it using the chain saw. Just remember, no matter which way it looks like it's going to fall, it might go a different direction. Also, sometimes the bottom of the cut slips and can hit/poke you. Plan an escape route before you start. Stay safe. Save the branches for your woodstove or fireplace. The small branches make great kindling.

That's a cabin?

Nice digs!

Thanks, Bucky! It's our fave family place to get together, since it's pretty close for everyone. The first 'cabin' burnt down in a fire back in the 80's. My SIL, his dad, and brothers rebuilt a new one from the barn. They kept the old wooden beams that were in the stables. Love that place!

Comfy.
The Cabin - dining area.jpg

A decent, cookable kitchen, too. That's Steel, The Wonder Dog. :wub: :)
The Cabin 2.jpg

Last edited:
Cheryl, you know, folks from the East coast wonder why folks from the West coast live there with such terrible things like fires, and earthquakes, and such.

But heck, yeah, I'd live there in a minute if that was the family retreat. Just beautiful.

Even the dog is perfect.

Cheryl, you know, folks from the East coast wonder why folks from the West coast live there with such terrible things like fires, and earthquakes, and such.

But heck, yeah, I'd live there in a minute if that was the family retreat. Just beautiful.

Even the dog is perfect.

Thanks bucky.....it is such a wonderful retreat, and yes, the fires, earthquakes, and landslides are horrible, but I guess we all have issues wherever we live! You all get SO much snow and ice storms, etc., over there in the North East...not sure I could deal with that now but if I grew up with it, it would just be another fact of life. :LOL:

Last edited:
Ugh, two days of horrible winds here. I was getting a little freaked out last night here by myself, and I'm pretty used to desert winds. I kept hearing pinecones bouncing off the roof and hitting the door and windows....I looked outside about 11 and could hardly see across the street, the sandstorm was so bad. What a mess here it was this morning with all the fallen branches and debris. Fortunately, it mellowed out and has been pretty calm today. :wacko:

Thank you Kay, and CG! That place is so beloved, I'm tempted to share more pics on a separate thread....LOL. :LOL: I just miss it so much, it's been a year since I've been there - was looking at pics this evening and reminiscing. :ermm::LOL: It really is an awesome place - 600 acres of quiet fabulousness. Thank you both for your comments. :wub:

Thank you Kay, and CG! That place is so beloved, I'm tempted to share more pics on a separate thread....LOL. [emoji38] I just miss it so much, it's been a year since I've been there - was looking at pics this evening and reminiscing. :ermm:[emoji38] It really is an awesome place - 600 acres of quiet fabulousness. Thank you both for your comments. :wub:
I'd love to see more pictures of your family cabin. It looks like a wonderful place to get together.

There was a glaze of ice on everything up on the mountain today when I headed home. The roads were brined, so the drive was no problem, but I had to gun it up the driveway which was like a tilted skating rink.

My wife asked our son to take the garbage down to the street this morning, and said he ended up riding the garbage can down the driveway rather than fall. His school uniform shoes are slick.

Last edited:
Weird. It's 58 degrees (about 14.5 C), the sky looks like June, and Accuweather says it will start raining any minute and keep up for an hour and a half. Great, we're about ready to head out to Amish Country for a last shop before heading home on Thursday. Weatherbug also alerted me to the fact that there was a lightening strike less than 2 miles away. :ohmy: It looks like winter is about to arrive on our doorstep, though - predictions for light snow and temperatures around 30 degrees are everywhere for tomorrow.

And it's just started to rain...

It is 59F right nw. It was up in the mid to upper 60s this afternoon. It is supposed to be cooler tomorrow, but still not too bad.

CD

A freezing rain all day here.. Supposed to be snow and sleet all weekend..

My "rescue" spider plant is looking out the window, hoping for spring.. ;)
Ross

Attachments

• Spider Plant aug 2018.jpg
    Spider Plant aug 2018.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Spider Plant jan 2019.jpg
    Spider Plant jan 2019.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 77
Oooh...Beth. That's def some snow there! :ermm:

Ross...loves those spider plants on your patio. They're hardy little plants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom