What kind of bedspread is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
This is going to sound strange to some, but, the bedspreads of old were heavy and really warm, but thin. They were not comforters or normal spreads. They had like looped material with patterns. Anyone know what they are called? I want one and can't find them anywhere. If I knew what they were made of or if they have a name, I might be able to.

I agree, it sounds like chenille, but all the chenille bedspreads I have had were not heavy. They were lightweight but very soft and warm.

How funny--I just looked it up and it said that the word chenille comes from French and means "hairy caterpillar" and from Latin and means "little dog." :LOL:

:) Barbara

texasgirl said:
This is going to sound strange to some, but, the bedspreads of old were heavy and really warm, but thin. They were not comforters or normal spreads. They had like looped material with patterns. Anyone know what they are called? I want one and can't find them anywhere. If I knew what they were made of or if they have a name, I might be able to.
I read this and this of an Afghan (spelling?).

Yup, sounds like what Jan and Barbara are saying. My Grandmother always had those too and some could be a bit heay; depending on how much was worked in the design. I haven't seen those around for quite some time. Sure brings back memories of snuggling down at my grandparents when I was a kid though.

I love chenille bedspreads and always had one as a child. Infact, I still have an old one -- must be at least 50 years old!! Anyway, I think I saw one or two in the JC Penney catalog. You might want to check at stores like Linens and Things, Macy's, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, etc. You may even be able to find chenille by the yard at a fabric store and make or have someone make you a spread. Also, check the internet. Good Luck -- Hope you find one.

Last edited:
Love Chenille Bedspreads....I have a few myself........their collectible pieces too. If you happen to find any tattered you can always convert those to pillow shams or pillow to go with your bedspread. You can ususally find them at rummage and garage sales for under $5.00 but they are also on Ebay.

Forgot......if anyone has one that was passed down in the family and its not in the best of condition.......check with a fabric store or specialty fabric store and see if they know of anyone that makes teddy bears.....if so have it converted to a bear you can treasure and keep out for viewing.

lindatooo said:
Are you talking about what I call a Martha Washington Bedspread? Usually white? Here is a link: http://www.pcfallon.com/Bedspreads.asp

I have one for my twin bed in the den I found at an estate sale.

Hope this helps!
That's what I envisioned too, lindatooo. I have such a bedspread and love it. But it is not what I think of as chenille. Seems that nowadays, all you can find are comforters. It's very difficult to find any kind of real bedspread anymore.

Here's another link, to a site called Country Curtains. If you click on bedding, you will find a bedspread called Martha's Choice.

I'm sure you're talking about chenille. I love it...it's so soft and comforting.
Chenille can be very lightweight, or quite heavy. I have a robe and a jacket that are both very thick and heavy.
Sizzlin, my daughter had an old, worn out ivory robe that she threw out for the dogs to sleep on. Jamie was expecting at the time, and when her landlady retrieved the robe and asked if she might have it, J had no idea what she had in mind.
When the baby came, the landlady came to visit, and brought the baby a teddy bear she had made from his mommy's robe. It was adorable.

Yep - it's Chenille. When I read the 1st post on this thread I laughed out loud. My wicked stepmonster used to make us take naps when she wanted to take one - I was around 8 or 10 years old - too old for naps. Being bored, I picked a lot of the fuzzies out of the design of her chenille bedspread - got into big trouble for that! :ROFLMAO:

I was a napper, but my girls weren't, so I just called it "Quiet Time". They could watch their TV's or whatever, as long as they stayed in their rooms and were quiet.
The rule was...don't wake up mom except in cases of serious injury or death, fire, flood, or tornado.
It didn't always work, but when it did did, it was great.

Thank you all so much!! The Martha Washington is it!! I'm excited. Now I just go find the color I want.

Intersting thread--I have several of these in the attic, put away in a trunk by my Gran. I hated them as a kid (didn't like the bumpies :mad:); I much preferred her and her mom's homemade quilts and the mohair blankets. I still keep :)heart:) available the mohair blanket she reserved for me when I was sick. Somehow, it still makes me feel better. And no, guys, it's not my blankee!:glare:

I'm sorry. I won't mention your blankee again. By the way, what color is it? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom