What to do with precooked shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can also dice them and mix with your favorite salad dressing. Serve on artisan bread with a side salad that also has shrimp in it. Or! You can have shrimp salad on a toasted hot dog roll in place of lobster. Add diced celery and mayonnaise. Lobster can be so expensive at certain times of the year. (Just not here in Boston.) Shrimp is a nice replacement. :angel:

s&p, my usual grocery store started selling frozen gulf shrimp about six months ago, both raw and precooked. Under the "Key West" brand, I believe. I was going to give you more info but when I went to the freezer to grab a bag I seem to be out of them. *gasp* Must add to list...

Sorry to say. If they come from China or Thailand I just won't buy them.

I agree. I try to get only US wild caught (usually Gulf) shrimp. Wild caught Mexican shrimp that are local when we're in Mexico are good too. I'm turned off by fish or seafood that are farm-raised, don't eat tilapia anymore either after I'd researched them.

I agree. I try to get only US wild caught (usually Gulf) shrimp. Wild caught Mexican shrimp that are local when we're in Mexico are good too. I'm turned off by fish or seafood that are farm-raised, don't eat tilapia anymore either after I'd researched them.

Catfish is another. We do have farm raised mussels here on the east coast. But they are raised in the Atlantic hanging from barges and tended to on a daily basis regardless of weather except Nor'easters or hurricanes. Catfish is a bottom dweller and eat their own feces. Wild catfish to me have a petroleum taste to them. :angel:

...We do have farm raised mussels here on the east coast. But they are raised in the Atlantic hanging from barges and tended to on a daily basis regardless of weather except Nor'easters or hurricanes...

There are a couple of oyster farms along the Rhode Island coast that are supposed to be very good. Or so says a friend of mine...I don't like the slimey little things. :sick:

Use them in a salad, use them in shrimp Alfredo, or mix up some shrimp sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice) and make a shrimp cocktail. (The Pad Thai sounds like a good idea but IMO over the head of most casual chefs.)

Cooked shrimp are not like raw shrimp. Each have their uses (raw is usually more flexible). But once you cook shrimp and refrigerate them they are bound to be "rubbery." Use them in a recipe that can handle that.

What???:neutral:

Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after. Like I said before, cook until just starting to turn pink. Remove from heat, cover and let residual heat finish the cooking. They will never be rubbery. Sounds simple because it is. You just can't walk away while they are cooking. :angel:

Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after. Like I said before, cook until just starting to turn pink. Remove from heat, cover and let residual heat finish the cooking. They will never be rubbery. Sounds simple because it is. You just can't walk away while they are cooking. :angel:

Addie, we were just commenting about how easy it is to cook Pad Thai. Even I can make a decent one!

Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after....

The problem isn't cooking raw shrimp right. It's buying the wrong bag and picking up pre-cooked shrimp. If you put pre-cooked shrimp into food you're cooking it can mess up their texture. The problem started with the OP's husband doing the shopping...;)

The problem isn't cooking raw shrimp right. It's buying the wrong bag and picking up pre-cooked shrimp. If you put pre-cooked shrimp into food you're cooking it can mess up their texture. The problem started with the OP's husband doing the shopping...;)

I'm not sure really if my mom made her shrimp gumbo with uncooked or cooked. She spent some time on the sauce tho. I would like to think she put in uncooked and took into account what you point out, or...she used cooked shrimp and put it in towards the end of doing the sauce and other ingredients.

Addie, we were just commenting about how easy it is to cook Pad Thai. Even I can make a decent one!

I am not sure what Pad Thai even is. Does it have peanuts in it? Or peanut butter? I had a dish of noodles once that had peanut butter in it and it was horrible. That is one dish I never finished. :angel:

I'm with you on that Dawg, I would never eat Tiapia as 80 % come from the dirty waters of Asia.

I am not sure what Pad Thai even is. Does it have peanuts in it? Or peanut butter? I had a dish of noodles once that had peanut butter in it and it was horrible. That is one dish I never finished. :angel:

Sesame noodles often have peanut butter in them. Pad Thai is topped with ground peanuts but it doesn't include peanut butter.

Back
Top Bottom