What's cooking Sunday 1/1/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The colossal shrimp are huge, but they come precooked, so by the time I got them done tonight, they were a little tough. Good, but tough.

Unusual. I've never seen packages of colossal shrimp (13-16 lb?) that are precooked. I find it hard enough finding colossal frozen shrimp. Among 7 well known major supermarkets here, my Walmart is the only one that sells 13-16 count colossal shrimp, devained.

Calson; well tiger shrimps the big Asian shrimps has gone unpopular due to the human and environmental cost when farming them. At least when they are from Asian countries.

Anyway, we had Nurnberger Ratwurst with saurkraut yesterday.

Calson; well tiger shrimps the big Asian shrimps has gone unpopular due to the human and environmental cost when farming them. At least when they are from Asian countries.

That may be. The 13-16 count "collossal" frozen aren't unpopular with me, as long as they've been passed for sale in the US. I really like butterflying a few, to go with a steak. It's just not the same using 23-26 count so called "large" or "jumbo" shrimp. They're kinda smallish. However, I'm not into freakishly gargantuan shrimp either, lol.

The farming of tiger shrimp destroyed the mangroves, which is alot of fish nursery, then polluted the environment so people ended up in poverty and then this fuiled the drug trade and then sex trade.
It wasnt a pretty sight at all.

Yes changes has been made and they now farming in other countries under better conditions but yes for a while they weren't popular .

That may be. The 13-16 count "collossal" frozen aren't unpopular with me, as long as they've been passed for sale in the US. I really like butterflying a few, to go with a steak. It's just not the same using 23-26 count so called "large" or "jumbo" shrimp. They're kinda smallish. However, I'm not into freakishly gargantuan shrimp either, lol.

That means absolutely nothing. The trash from those areas is available here in the US, right now.

We had the left-over rouladen from our dinner party with carrots, rice and salad. I was really pleased out it turned out and our friends loved it.

Those are the large. The colossal ones are 6 to 12 or what I got, 8 to 13. I've even seen them here as 3 to 6. Now those were HUGE! They're about as long as a standard hot dog. Also, very expensive. The store will have them once in a blue moon and I'm not sure they're not wild caught. I should ask if I see them again.

I'm not a big fan of wild caught shrimp either. Recently one of our stores was advertizing Argentine pink shrimp. I don't know if that's the name or the location (I was thinking location), but knowing how dirty the water is off the coast there, I wouldn't get those either. Unless they're a specific kind and I'm just showing my ignorance here.

By the way, there's been some articles on people here in the US raising their own shrimp. I was looking into it at one point. It didn't sound too difficult and at least you know what's going in them.

Last edited:
Recently one of our stores was advertizing Argentine pink shrimp. I don't know if that's the name or the location (I was thinking location), but knowing how dirty the water is off the coast there, I wouldn't get those either. Unless they're a specific kind and I'm just showing my ignorance here.

Pink shrimp are pink while raw, instead of gray. It's not a description of their location; it's what they look like.

Back
Top Bottom