What's Fermenting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarionW

Senior Cook
I have fermenting; 11 gallons of Mead
Stablized, but not yet bottled; 15 gallons Chianti - 15 gallons Muscat
Bottled and ready to drink; 5 gallons German Altbier

Marion

Mead ~ Mead is good. Makes me think of Renaissance Faires and Harvest Festivals. You know, you really aren't THAT far from me.

Half Baked said:
I hope there aren't any ATF agents on the site. :ROFLMAO:

It's cool :cool: , brewing is legal as of 1979, winemaking since the repeal of prohibition. (The words "and beer" got left out of the official repeal of prohibition in the US - thus making it technically illegal to brew beer until 1979 when a bill was finally put through congress and signed by President Carter)

Home distilling is still illegal in the US - probably for both safety and tax reasons.

Hmm - what do I have downstairs? It's been way too long since I've brewed. I think I have a couple of meads, some lambics, and a cider downstairs. The cider is probably about ready to bottle for the fall.

John

Sephora, I have an "open door policy" for all whom appreciate Mead and it's qualities.

Thanks for the update. I remember watching a talk show and the celebrity talked about his winemaking and how much he had bottled.

He was contacted by the ATF the next day since at that time a home brewer/winer could only make 5 gallons at a time. :LOL:

Half Baked said:
He was contacted by the ATF the next day since at that time a home brewer/winer could only make 5 gallons at a time. :LOL:

LOL!!

Yep, now the official rule for homebrewing is now 100 gallons per adult in the house, up to 200 gallons (A nod to the distributor and brewer lobbyists). Of course, I challenge ANYbody to find that first 50 gallons or so of beer I made this year!
(And no, beer bellies do NOT count!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

As for anyone worried about ONLY making 200 gallons - 5 gallons (US) will give you roughly two cases (48 bottles) of 12oz longnecks.

John

In Virginia, and I'm not sure if all states have thier own regulatory system, a single person is limited to either 2 or 300 gallons per year. A married couple is limited to 500 gallons per year, for their own consumption. To my knowledge, it doesn't matter if you ferment the entire 500 gallons at once or in small increments.

Marion

Last edited:
I have a sourdough starter fermenting...but relating to the majority of previous posts, there is a bit of hooch lingering at the top ;)

I thought I'd bump this thread as I'm in the middle of my first batch of beer. I inherited the family brewing equipment and promptly got started with a Munton's IPA kit. The recipe went something like this:

For 5 gallons:

6.6 lbs (3 Kg) Munton's IPA malt syrup
1 1/2 lbs dry malt (for higher octane)
1 oz Centennial hops (end boiling)
1 pkg ale yeast

O.G. 1.052

The extra dry malt and hops were suggested by the local homebrew shop's owner. So far, so good. It's Day 14, 4 days for primary fermentation and 10 days for secondary. I'll probably be bottling pretty soon as the activity has just about ceased.

I know rohnjohn is the homebrew guru but I thought I'd add my experience. I have a copy of "The New Complete Joy of Homebrew-Revised" by Charles Papazian and it seems to have all the information I'll ever need. Making beer is surprisingly easy although cleaning and sanitizing the equipment is a bit of a pain in the tookus. I'm chomping at the bit to do a Stout but I'll wait and see how this first batch turns out.

Cheers!

When I moved into this place, I found a pamphlet, probably printed in the early 80's, about home-brewing. That pamphlet promptly dissappeared within a few hours (darn kids). A couple weeks later, cleaning out the previous occupant's junk out of the garage, I found a fermentation vat, a lid to a 5 gal (?) fermentation vat, and a couple carbon dioxide valves. I may just have to invest in a little equipment and supplies, and brew some for myself.

Try it, Allen! If you love cooking, you'll love brewing! Mind you, I'm just a beginner and I'm not comfortable about handing out advice but I can tell you that it's much cheaper and much easier than you think.

mmm mm mead! My mother makes wine, and I have been trying to get her to dabble in making some mead, but she is partial to growing her grapes. The limitation info is cool too. I might need to suggest to 'ol mom that she is over her limit and needs to store some wine at my house.... :cool: I promise I won't drink it till there is dust on the bottle. I tell her I am going to open all their windows and drive up and down their gravel road at a smooth 76mph hehe "LOOK!! DUST!!!"

My great-grandpa used to brew his own beer, and store it in the basement.
His wife was a tee-totaler though, and one hot summer's day, when she was having a Women's Christian Temperance Union meeting in her parlor upstairs, grandpa's beer starting blowing it's caps off in the basement, with a very LOUD explosive sound.
:ohmy:

Ipa

DampCharcoal:

You'll have a good IPA. The extra lb. of dry malt will give more body as well. Your brew will have a smooth mouthy feel not associated with store bought. Let us know the outcome.

Best regards,
Marion

I highly doubt it is for safety reasons.

It is only unsafe if you don't research when to make cuts. If people are stupid enough to home brew spirits without researching how to then really they deserve whatever happens to their bodies from consuming copious amounts of methanol and acetone. Just my personal opinion.

I make a bit of beer and a bit of wine but I want to start making some better tasting wine.

That alcobase tastes like arse and is ridiculously expensive. I tried it once to see what the outcome would be and it needs to be distilled to be worth anything (the claim is it doesn't need to be distilled) and even then it is way overpriced.

Home Distilling in Australia is VERY common. I am a member of a few social groups online which meet up once every 2 months and out of curiosity I raised the question in them all. At least 2 in every 10 males were into it.

Midol said:
I highly doubt it is for safety reasons.

It is only unsafe if you don't research when to make cuts. If people are stupid enough to home brew spirits without researching how to then really they deserve whatever happens to their bodies from consuming copious amounts of methanol and acetone. Just my personal opinion.

Actually, the safety part isn't just about the cuts. After all, distilling will not create any more, or any less of a substance that is not already IN the mash you are heating..

The safety issues also stem from 1) People thinking they can clean out a used raditor to use as a condenser, and 2) How to put this delicately.... Having someone who would qualify as a "not so bright bulb" working with alcohol vapors and open flames..... :mrgreen:

Here in the states, most times I read about an unlicensed distilling operation (home, bootleg, etc.) getting busted, it's usually because the police are there investigating an explosion.

John

Back
Top Bottom