What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't usually watch movies as I prefer TV series like Better Call Saul, The Wire, etc. I did recently watch Deliverance on Netflix. It was filmed in 1972 and is based on the book of the same name. I thought Burt Reynolds did an awesome job in this film. He had said in some past interview that this was his favorite acting role. The movie was controversial in its day for the graphic male/male rape scene. There's also the iconic dueling banjos scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

In Deliverance, a scene depicts Billy Redden playing it opposite Ronny Cox, who joins him on guitar. Redden plays "Lonnie," a mentally challenged and inbred, but extremely gifted, banjo player. Redden could not actually play the banjo and the director thought his hand movements looked unconvincing. A local musician, Mike Addis, was brought in to depict the movement of the boy's left hand. Addis hid behind Redden, with his left arm in Redden's shirt sleeve. Careful camera angles kept Addis out of frame and completed the illusion, though anyone familiar with bluegrass banjo playing can see that the left-hand movements do not match up with the music produced, and that the banjo being used (an open-back instrument) could never produce the music one hears (clearly from a resonator banjo).

I didn't have much interest in seeing that one either, kgirl.

The other day I watched "Foxfire". It's an older movie (mid '80's), and starred the late (and beautiful) Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn, and John Denver. I loved it, and don't know how I missed it after all these years. Just a sweet story of a widow living alone in the mountains and suddenly faced with modern day progress. Beautiful scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

From IMDB:
Fierce but aging widow Annie Nations lives alone on her farm. Unable to let go of the past -- she sometimes visits with the ghost of her husband -- Annie gets pulled into a very current battle with a real estate developer looking to buy her land. Annie also needs to help her son, Dillard, a country singer struggling to raise his two daughters on his own. As Annie deals with these pressures, she begins to reflect on her long life on the farm.

Last edited:
Tomorrow night on ESPN "The Good, The Bad, The Hungry" is finally going to air. The food related sports documentary you just can't miss.

"The Good, the Bad, The Hungry" is the latest ESPN 30 for 30 documentary and certainly one that deserves a look. This is a documentary that is supposed to be about one of the greatest rivalries in sports between Kobayashi from Japan and Joey "Jaws" Chestnut from the USA. The documentary wound up being more as it also was about the formation of the MLE(Major League Eating) and George Shea who is the announcer for the Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest.

We get it all in this documentary with commentary from both Joey, and Kobayashi. The whole early years of him in Japan in eating competition shows before he finally showed up in 2001 to shock the world in destroying the previous world record. We get to see him as more of nice guy in the documentary with some wounds that probably still not have healed. Kobayashi stated it was nice to finally have a rival and that he felt pressure to keep the sport going. He wanted to quit in 2007 after his mom died of cancer, but he had to come back it after he heard that Joey broke his record. We get a Kobayashi here that says he did not want to be made out to be the bad guy and did not like it when Joey was getting all the praise.

Joey on the other hand saw the event with Kobayashi on TV and wanted in on the action. Joey stated that Kobayashi sees this "as almost as an art." Joey also stated that it motivated him when Kobayashi was the enemy.
George gives us some good color on the rivalry and the mess over the MLE contract that Kobayashi refused to sign. I feel in the end here he not such a good guy, but I like his on air antics though.

I will say Director Nicole Lucas Haimes did a solid job here with as little footage to show of this crazy sport. At the end of the documentary we get Nicole getting an apology of sort out of George to Kobayashi. Could this get him back to the event? I really miss Kobayashi and the event needs him badly.

We watched The American, on Netflix yesterday.. Enjoyed it a lot..

When an assignment in Sweden ends badly, master assassin Jack (George Clooney) retreats to the Italian countryside with the intention of remaining anonymous. In an uncharacteristic move, he becomes friends with a local priest and pursues a torrid romance with a beautiful woman (Violante Placido). But by stepping out of the shadows, Jack may be making a fatal mistake.

Ross

We watched The American, on Netflix yesterday.. Enjoyed it a lot..

Ross

I watched that quite awhile ago and could never remember the name. It was very good - I enjoyed it.

As to eating contests - I often pig out or 'gorge myself' and know the entire time it is not right nor necessary - but to do it deliberately, to make a career of it? That is so wrong in so many ways. IMHO

I wonder if there has ever been a contest winner of 'Russian Roulette' and how many years have they held the title?

I watched that quite awhile ago and could never remember the name. It was very good - I enjoyed it.

As to eating contests - I often pig out or 'gorge myself' and know the entire time it is not right nor necessary - but to do it deliberately, to make a career of it? That is so wrong in so many ways. IMHO

I wonder if there has ever been a contest winner of 'Russian Roulette' and how many years have they held the title?

Completely agree with you on that, dragn!

Cactus Flower, 1969. Ok, so it was predictable. But i loved it. What a nice film for a change. No murder, no sex, and yet very enjoyable. Oh, my gosh and Goldie Hawn, what a doll.

Two Minute Warning from 1976, I think, about a sniper in a football stadium during a big game. It wasn't half bad and it was great seeing all the old actors and actresses again. And some who were so young and so unknown and later became big stars.

Back
Top Bottom