When do you use sesame oil in your cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you detect a burnt smell it’s probably something that you won’t be happy with.

I enjoy the taste and smell in a stir fry, fried rice, dragon noodles, etc…

I use it as a seasoning and not as a traditional oil used for cooking.

I don’t spend a lot, I’m currently using a small bottle of Wegman’s private label.

It seems you're talking about roasted/toasted sesame oil. You can get non-toasted sesame oil but it has very little flavor.

The roasted variety is used frequently in the various Asian cuisines, usually as a garnishing accent.

Sesame for tahini is lightly toasted and you could taste that oil that separates out for an idea of the flavor difference.

Asian cuisines have a sesame paste as well that has the full roast flavor and color.

I don't find it tastes burnt but has a flavor approaching peanut butter but lighter.

Try this dressing on a salad:

5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Mix until the sugar dissolves. Mix again just before each use as it separates quickly.

it has a burnt smell. There are so many kinds of oils that it is mind boggling
Is it pure sesame oil? Sometimes there are mixers.

We use it in various Asian dishes, as part of seasoning/marinating proteins, finishing oil, and mixed with vegetable oil to pan fry on occasion, also as part of dipping sauces for dim sum dumplings.

The best brand of "toasted" sesame oil, IMO, is the Japanese Kadoya. Some Korean isn't as strong - maybe they don't roast it to such a deep color and flavor, because they are going to use it, sometimes, for cooking. Good thing is, Kadoya is often found in supermarkets, nowadays.

Another problem with some of those lighter colored sesame oils, as well as untoasted ones, and ones that are mixed, with other oils, is that they can go rancid, unless kept refrigerated. I have never had any Kadoya go rancid, which I never figured out. India uses raw sesame oil a lot, and you have to check them, as many have chemicals added, to prevent them from going rancid, since it's prone to it.

The dark sesame I use mostly in Chinese food, and it's usually added at the very end. Also good in dip sauces, for dim sum.

I believe I've only ever bought 2 maybe 3 bottles of Sesame Oil. Not until I started getting into food seriously. So they've lasted for quite some time. I've never put them in the fridge. This is my 3rd summer here and I still have the same bottled I moved with and it was at least 2 years on the farm... if not longer. Still good - not rancid.

I used to make so much Chinese food that I would buy those 56 oz cans of the Kadoya! I later switched my obsession to Thai and other SE Asian food, which only uses it occasionally, and later to a lot of Indian food, so it's still used, but rarely.

One thing I forgot about, that I have used it in for many years, is sesame cookies! A recipe called for 3/4 c toasted sesame seeds, but I use just 1/4 c, and I substitute 2 tb sesame oil for 2 tb of the 8 tb butter, and the flavor is fantastic. Good in other sesame sweets, too.

I would imagine that, if the sesame oil is roasted and it smells burnt straight from the bottle, maybe some or all of the sesame seeds got burnt while they were being roasted.

I would imagine that, if the sesame oil is roasted and it smells burnt straight from the bottle, maybe some or all of the sesame seeds got burnt while they were being roasted.
It could also be that George just isn't used to the smell. I think coffee smells burnt most of the time and I know that's how people think it's best. But it's one of the reasons I don't like coffee. So it might just be that sesame oil isn't the right flavor to them.

Good sesame oil gives a lot of depth to Asian dishes when used correctly. Whereas we often look to how an oil variety responds to temperature for cooking (smoking point etc), sesame oil is similar to olive oil in that it should be approached as a flavour ingredient mainly for finishing.
Remember, it has a strong flavour so use wisely 🫠

Back when butter or olive oil poaching was the trend,I did some pork tenderloin poached in sesame oil. It was enjoyable but not worth the expense or hassle.

Now with sous vide it can be done much more easily and with less oil.

Good sesame oil gives a lot of depth to Asian dishes when used correctly. Whereas we often look to how an oil variety responds to temperature for cooking (smoking point etc), sesame oil is similar to olive oil in that it should be approached as a flavour ingredient mainly for finishing.
Remember, it has a strong flavour so use wisely 🫠
I cook everything in olive oil. I sometimes finish with it, but it’s a workhorse cooking oil.

similarly, it’s a myth not to sauté using toasted sesame oil.

I cook everything in olive oil. I sometimes finish with it, but it’s a workhorse cooking oil.

similarly, it’s a myth not to sauté using toasted sesame oil.
I cook almost everything in olive oil. I'm curious about the sautéing in roasted sesame oil. I have read that it burns too easily.

But, now that I think about it, those were sites that also claimed that EVOO has too low a smoke point to fry or sauté with it. But, EVOO has a smoke point of 190°C / 374°F and low acid EVOO can have a higher smoke point, 207°C / 405°F. We don't usually sauté at over 374°F. And according to Wikipedia,

Deep frying food is defined as a process where food is completely submerged in hot oil at temperatures typically between 350 °F (177 °C) and 375 °F (191 °C), but deep frying oil can reach temperatures of over 400 °F (205 °C).
So, EVOO could even be used to deep fry. I don't think I'm going to trust the info about sesame oil from a site where people claim you can't fry with EVOO.

Back
Top Bottom