Anyone use sesame oil as your main oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People use the toasted sesame oil for the taste and if unfiltered it's really not suitable to use for cooking as it gets bitter very quickly, so use it to finish and for a flavor enhancer.

The non toasted is a very neutral tasting oil and can be used for cooking if purchased in the refined state and not the natural state but it's pretty expensive and also because of the relatively high level of polyunsaturated fat it contains I really wouldn't be exposing it to heat anyway.

Why are you wondering about the sesame oil? Are the special dishes you are referring to the Oriental dishes, like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and many others, and if so, that is the toasted variety, you add at the end, usually, as a flavoring oil; also, in many dip sauces, for that delicious flavor. It is dark, in color, and shouldn't have other oils added to it, which I have seen before, especially in "Hot Sesame Oil" for that, just make your own. Mixed oils with it go rancid quickly, unless kept refrigerated.

For the other sesame oil - the light colored - sometimes you'll find it labeled "Raw Sesame Oil", and it's often found in health food is. That is better kept refrigerated, as it can also go rancid quicker. It's can take higher heat than the toasted, but not as high as the highly refined sesame oil. The refined oil is what they mean if you see them call for sesame oil in Indian recipes, and it's used for the everyday cooking, in some areas.

Koreans use “toasted” for sautéing and general everyday medium heat cooking.

It’s not true that it shouldn’t be used for that. Just avoid using it for high heat cooking.

Last edited:
Why are you wondering about the sesame oil? Are the special dishes you are referring to the Oriental dishes, like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and many others, and if so, that is the toasted variety, you add at the end, usually, as a flavoring oil; also, in many dip sauces, for that delicious flavor. It is dark, in color, and shouldn't have other oils added to it, which I have seen before, especially in "Hot Sesame Oil" for that, just make your own. Mixed oils with it go rancid quickly, unless kept refrigerated.

For the other sesame oil - the light colored - sometimes you'll find it labeled "Raw Sesame Oil", and it's often found in health food is. That is better kept refrigerated, as it can also go rancid quicker. It's can take higher heat than the toasted, but not as high as the highly refined sesame oil. The refined oil is what they mean if you see them call for sesame oil in Indian recipes, and it's used for the everyday cooking, in some areas.
Wondering because I ran out of oil but had sesame oil in frig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom