Which dal makhani recipe is the best in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STB, Here is my favorite recipe that I've tried. A lot of unusual ingredients - the Indian bay leaf could probably be replaced with a regular bay leaf, as the cinnamon flavor in the leaf is still in there in a cinnamon stick. The black cardamom, however, is really an essential ingredient, giving it a unique, smoky flavor. That optional dhungar method at the end doesn't seem to flavor it that much, though I do use that method with some chicken dishes - more surface to penetrate than with a dal.

If you aren't using a pressure cooker, somewhere below she tells how to do this in a regular pot. And it's sort of strange the way they give the pressure cooking time in "whistles" instead of minutes - this time probably should be about 30 minutes, and natural release of pressure. Hard to overcook for this dish.
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-139355

Last edited:
You won't be sorry if you make this recipe. An Indian neighbor shared it with me years ago.

DAL MAKHANI

2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garlic
1 C Urad Saboot (whole black beans)
2 Tb Chane Ki Dal (split gram dal)
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1½ tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
1 Tb Kasoori Mehti (dry fennugreek leaf)
½ tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
½ C Milk (if needed)
½ C Cream
¼ tsp Nutmeg

Soak the peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Make a paste of the peppers, ginger and garlic in a food processor.

Wash and pick over the beans. Place them in a saucepan with the pepper, ginger, garlic paste and the tablespoon of ghee or oil, the salt and the water.

Bring the saucepan to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 1½ - 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and add them to the saucepan along with the butter, Kasoori Mehti, the Garam Masala and the ketchup. Simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally and mashing the beans slightly.

Add some milk if the mixture appears too thick.

Continue cooking to thicken.

Stir in the cream and nutmeg and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the desired thickness is achieved.

thanks

Attachments

• photo_2022-03-15_09-48-17.jpg
    photo_2022-03-15_09-48-17.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom