Which ginger peeling method is the best in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you don't need to "cut" away the peel. It is so thin that scraping is all that is needed. Think that article pretty much says it all.

I peel it with a paring knife or scrape with a spoon. They both work fine.

If you remove too much flesh with a knife, keep practicing until you don’t. It’s not that hard to get better with a sharp paring knife.

IMO, life is too short to worry about peeling ginger.

Only you will know which is best for you. There is nothing to buy to try them, aside from maybe the micro. Everyone has a spoon, purchasing a scrubby for pots are almost always in a kitchen somewhere (doesn't have to be green).
Like your knife? use the back of it or just scrape with the blade - however you like to hold it.
Everything is dirty in the sink? Use your fingernail - cheapest, handiest tool of them all. It's recycable.

I peel it with a paring knife or scrape with a spoon. They both work fine.

If you remove too much flesh with a knife, keep practicing until you don’t. It’s not that hard to get better with a sharp paring knife.

IMO, life is too short to worry about peeling ginger.
being bothered by things is the essense of life

If any of the ginger has dried out spots or thick woody areas, I chop those off. I don't peel otherwise. I put them in the food processor and mince them well. I pack them in 1 cup plastic containers and freeze it. When I want some I thaw in the microwave and spoon out what I need.

As others have mentioned, if it's going to be grated, then I don't see any point in peeling it, unless there are damaged or dried up spots. Those I cut off. If, for whatever reason, I decide I do want the ginger peeled, I use a spoon. Heck, on a clutzy day, I might use a spoon to peel carrots. It's much harder to cut yourself with a spoon than with a knife or peeler.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom