White pepper Vs black pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I have a lo mein recipe that calls for white pepper which I have never used. Does it make a difference which pepper I use?

To me white pepper has a different flavor. I usually use it for Chinese recipes, and in some soups too. Substituting one for the other wont dramatically change the dish, but there will be a subtle difference.

The difference is very subtle. Most people don't notice it. Some folks like to use white pepper when they don't want black specs in the dish (Julia Child used to recommend it in some dishes for just this reason). Personally, blak specs never bothered me.

The difference is very subtle. Most people don't notice it. Some folks like to use white pepper when they don't want black specs in the dish (Julia Child used to recommend it in some dishes for just this reason). Personally, blak specs never bothered me.
I actually like the black spots when I make a cream sauce or vichyssoise ( I actually spelled it right on the first shot).

My father used to say he could not abide pepper in any of his meals.

Mom used white pepper and he never knew.

All that being said - I do think there is a subtle difference. White not being as "oh!" (is that a flavour?) as black.

so don't worry georgevan - use what you have.

There is definitely a different flavor from black and white peppers. I used to use black instead, when white was called for (used to be those dishes where they were worried about the black specks), mainly because I really did not like the flavor of white pepper, which always seemed to have sort of a musty flavor, even when freshly ground. It wasn't until many years ago, when I got a paper catalog from Penzey's spices, and I saw they sold those Sarawak White Peppercorns - a little more expensive, but they explained why, which also explained why I never liked those white peppercorns. They said that the usual way of making them was letting the peppercorns totally ripen (the black ones are unripened), then soaked, for a generous time, to soften and remove the hard, outer shell (which is the wrinkly, hard shell of black peppercorns), and the time they are left in the water is when they get that "off flavor" that some people don't like. However, Sarawak Peppercorns are made by softening the shell in running water, which washes away that off flavor, as it is softening. They are much lighter in color, and have a much better flavor than regular white peppercorns. I remember one of my earlier Thai cookbooks, in which the author called for black pepper in the recipe, stating that he knew white was traditional, but he just didn't like it! I read that after I had discovered the Sarawak, but before, I always used the black, too. Now, I have a peppermill for white, Szechwan, and I think 4 more for the black, so black is still my favorite. :LOL:

Last edited:
I use white and black.
Can't say I find a big difference with the standard pepper.
But: On a holiday in Vietnam, I bought some pepper corns and both white and black were much much better than what I was used to.
@georgevan I don't know if you do already, but please use freshly ground pepper!

If you are going to be making a fair amount of Asian dishes, it’s probably worth getting some white pepper, because it turns up in many dishes.
You can obviously substitute with black, but I can usually taste a difference.

i don'tknow that the color matters but the freshness of the grind certainly does! i never buy preground pepper anymore!!!

having said that, i prefer the tricolor peppers when i can get them. pink peppercorns are FUN!!!!

And the tri-coloured ones are another taste as well, along with just the pink/red ones. Puts all 3 blended together. I quite like it too.

Back
Top Bottom