Who Likes Buttermilk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Robo410 - that only pertains to the current "stuff" you get at the supermarket. The true buttermilk from this roadside stand had actual lumps of butter in it (I asked the actual dairy farmer about it & how he made it. They purposely sieved it to allow butterfat through.). This was the real stuff - not the cultured supermarket "stuff".

kitchenelf said:
I've tried to drink it but can't acquire a taste for it. But I use it in recipes all the time. Yep, my dad would crumble up cornbread and put in buttermilk with salt and pepper.

My dad used to eat that for dessert. I can remember looking at him like he had 3 eyes and was totally grossed out by the concoction.

In fact, I looked at him like my kids looked at me when I ate something that they found discusting. What comes around, goes around! :LOL:

Give me a nice size glass of fresh ice-cold I% lowfat milk any day, and I'll show you what to do with it!! Drink it as if it were whole milk!

We would come home from church on Sunday night ... and it was a mad dash for the 'fridge to find something to snack on - of course we also had a black-and-white TV at that time and my favorite show was "Boston Blackie" (circa 1952?).

I could never develop the taste to drink the stuff (kind of like I like single malt Scotch but don't care much for the blended stuff) - but I enjoyed many after church snacks of crumbled cornbread with buttermilk - sometimes with crumbled up bacon or sausage bits.

That sounds odd.. but strangely good at the same time. Wow... that actually has my mouth watering!!! LOL!

Buttermilk is one of my favorite ingredients for baking - it allows you to use less butter/oil and get a good result. But I'd never drink it plain.

I forgot!

Buttermilk is also good for making the best Southern fried chicken. I make it from time to time when I feel like eating some real down-home fried chicken.

Not all the time though, because it's fattening.

Yes, it has a sour flavor, but sour cream would probably be close to buttermilk taste. I always put a little salt in mine and drink it ice cold.Today's buttermilk is different than in the "older days". Nothing was wasted, and after the butter was churned, you had a creamier buttermilk, due to the little flecks of butter in it.

We as kids, used to get milk that had cream on top of it when the milkman delivered it.

We all ran for the chance to skim the cream off and eat it. Mom used to get mad that we did that - because she wanted some of it also!

Last edited:
Well I've not tasted it since I was a kid and that wasn't a pleasent moment so I've never been tempted to torture my tastebuds again. However, I do love using it to marinate meats.

My mom always had buttermilk with cornbread in it, which I thought was icky. As an adult, I love buttermilk (without the bread) I drink it, bake with it, soak chicken in it to fry, make salad dressing, and it is a must for cornbread.

I cannot drink regular milk, but love buttermilk. I haven't drank regular milk since I was a child. I lean towards sour flavors so I guess that has something to do with my being able to drink buttermilk.

I love buttermilk biscuits, too!!!

~Ali

Ali said:
I cannot drink regular milk, but love buttermilk. I haven't drank regular milk since I was a child. I lean towards sour flavors so I guess that has something to do with my being able to drink buttermilk.

I love buttermilk biscuits, too!!!

~Ali

Me too!!!! LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom