Wife's got some bizarre cooking notions/beliefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sometimes amused when I see a recipe calling for unsalted butter and salt.

IMO, the use of unsalted butter has been institutionalized way beyond any actual need for it. I imagine decades of our ancestors making excellent baked goods with salted butter and never giving a thought to changing. With the advent of cooking shows, unsalted butter has become a darling of TV chefs.

IMO, the use of unsalted butter has been institutionalized way beyond any actual need for it. I imagine decades of our ancestors making excellent baked goods with salted butter and never giving a thought to changing. With the advent of cooking shows, unsalted butter has become a darling of TV chefs.

The thing is, when you use unsalted butter, you can put in however much salt you want - or leave it out. People on low-salt diets or who are sensitive to it or just don't want it can control how much is in their food.

I use unsalted butter for everything I use butter for. I prefer flaky salt on bread, vegetables, etc., anyway because I like the crunch :yum: :chef:

Dietary restrictions aside, I am suggesting the amount of salt in butter isn't worth concern.

According to my calculations and which website you choose for conversions, there is about ½ teaspoon of salt in a pound of LoL butter (or ⅛ of a tsp. in a stick of butter). Hardly enough to get excited about.

Are you the one on the left or the one on the right? :whistling

Well said. :clap:

I buy salted butter because it's what I want on most things I use butter on like toast.

If I bake I lower the amount of salt to compensate.

Dietary restrictions aside, I am suggesting the amount of salt in butter isn't worth concern.

According to my calculations and which website you choose for conversions, there is about ½ teaspoon of salt in a pound of LoL butter (or ⅛ of a tsp. in a stick of butter). Hardly enough to get excited about.

Awww... Come on. We all need something to get excited about. ;)

For me it has nothing to do with not wanting salt - I consume quite a bit of it with no deleterious effects (my BP was measured today at 122/71 - not bad for 70 years old and a bit overweight). I simply prefer to be in control. A recipe which calls for 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 cup of butter should get exactly that unless or until I feel that it needs modification.

Last edited:

I use unsalted butter for most baking, but if all I had was salted butter, I'd use it just the same. The only place where salted butter is a no no is in something like a swiss meringue buttercream and with its high butter ratio, salted doesn't work well.

My mom always used margarine which of course was salted and it always worked just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom