Wingnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butter Heart

Assistant Cook
There was a local SoCal BBQ/Wings restaurant called Wingnuts. Have anyone been there?

My Go-To Order was chicken tenders with extra "Buffalo Ouch!" sauce, fries and a few sides of the sauce. I can't count on google nor chatgpt for helping me make my favorite meal since it's a non-chain restaurant. I can't go there since it closed in 2021 (2 years ago). Buffalo Wild Wings and Wingstop are good but there just not the same. I missed the restaurant so much that I want to create my favorite meal from scratch at home.

I don't what to start, middle and end Can anyone help me?

Hello Butter Heart, Welcome to DC.

I'm pretty sure we have a couple of members either in or from SoCal. Hopefully they will be familiar with that restaurant and be able to help. I'll keep my claws crossed for you.

Do what I do. Start with somebody's recipe. Cook it and eat it. If it doesn't make the grade adapt it to what you want. With enough tweaks you should be able to arrive at a satisfactory solution. Once it is dialed, you can repeat it every time you decide to cook it.

Do what I do. Start with somebody's recipe. Cook it and eat it. If it doesn't make the grade adapt it to what you want. With enough tweaks you should be able to arrive at a satisfactory solution. Once it is dialed, you can repeat it every time you decide to cook it.
What "somebody's recipe"? Which recipe should I start, middle and finish with?

I have lived in SoCal for over 40 years and have never heard of WingNuts. I am originally from Western New York and lived there when Buffalo wings were first introduced to the masses. I just happen to have the original Teresa Bellisimo recipe, provided by a friend who worked at the Anchor Bar while attending college in Buffalo. Here is the original recipe, but don't tell anyone where you got it:

Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings​

Ingredients:
  • 2 dozen chicken wings, separated at the joints, tips reserved
  • 2 Tbs white vinegar
  • ¼ lb butter
  • 1 cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce (I put that shit on everything!)
  • 2 Tbs granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion salt

Directions:​

Preheat the oven to 250F.

Bake the wings in the 250F oven for 15 minutes, then deep fry in vegetable oil to the desired texture (soft or crispy).

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat and add the hot sauce and vinegar. Stir in the sugar until it dissolves.

Whisk the cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and onion salt into the sauce until incorporated. Simmer the sauce, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes.

Pour the sauce into large sealable storage bowl, add the chicken wings, seal the bowl, and shake it until the wings are completely coated. Remove the wings from the bowl and RINSE THE BOWL IMMEDIATELY IF YOU EVER EXPECT TO USE IT AGAIN.

Last edited:
What "somebody's recipe"? Which recipe should I start, middle and finish with?
You mentioned a couple of other wings restos. Do you know what is different about the flavour that you prefer? If you start with a copycat recipe for one of those other resto's wings and tweak that, you might be able to get something you really like. Or, if they are anything like Buffalo wings, then start with the recipe that @Sir_Loin_of_Beef shared.

Last edited:
One more thing. At the Anchor Bar, an order of wings is served with celery sticks and bleu cheese, NEVER RANCH!!! dressing. The dressing is for the celery sticks, NOT THE WINGS!!! If the wings overwelm your sensibilities, a cold Molson's or Gennesee cream ale will cool your jets.

I don't care what anyone says – KEEP the celery! I dip my wings in the blue cheese dip/dressing!! I actually put some Frank's in the blue cheese dip/dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom