Yes, this is my first time joining an online community...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyShirley

Assistant Cook
Most my life, I have participated as one of those that get the grand privilege of having your father say...put the orange outfit on and you can drive the deer towards the hunting party...Later in life, I then have developed the skills to cut and can venison.

This is the first year that I decided to go out in the woods and got one.

Every year, I pressure can the venison. This year, I would like to grind the venison and make brats or something different. I have made venison sausage...didn't realize that (pork/beef fat was that important) some kind of fat product was necessary to make the venison sausage the best it can be. Since then, I now know...dryest venison sausage anyone could make...I did it. You have to add some fatty product to it, to make it the best it can be. If any one can give a recipe that would be a delicous venison brat...I would very much appreciate your imput. I like it hot or mild.

If your imput could be ASAP. The deer is hanging in the tree and I need some suggestions might quick. Thank you.

Last edited:
got pork fat?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular][SIZE=+1]Does this help?
[/SIZE]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular][SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]www.bowhunting.net/susieq/sausage.htm[/SIZE][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Welcome to DC!

I would recomend simple fatback. Slab bacon(unsmoked) would be rich and tasty without being too over powering in my opinion. Pork of any "un-lean" cut would help out, I am sure.

Have fun dressin' that deer!

Shirley,

I haven't made venison sausage, but a lot of the guys on the BBQ forum I'm on have. They stress the importance of at least a 50:50 ratio of venison to pork butt, so it won't be too dry.

Here's a link to one recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/26627

Good luck!

Lee

Hi, welcome to the group!
Hubby has been hunting for years but this is the first year he's brought any home. Three deer and a bear!!! Wish I had some advice for you but I'm just learning myself. Good luck!!

The deer can hang one more day as it is cold enough outside & don't have to worry about naughty critters or warm weathered pestilence. I do have pork fat & another 5 lbs. bag of scraps of pork meat w/fat on it.

Morton's Sausage & Poultry Seasoning -- Is this a brand name product?...Or, can you simplfy the recipe or ingrediants. I am not a business (chef) etc,, but I am a mom that likes to be the best cooking mom for my family+.

Thank you for response to my inquiry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom