Your ideas for using anchovies & paste, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh wow, i just had some caesar style deviled eggs, a recipe from the tasting table. it's deviled eggs topped with a mixture of anchovies, garlic, parmesan, lemon and panko--all sauted together. this dish really pops! :) one day i will learn how to use the computer to send recipes to this site. anybody up for giving me a brief tutorial?

I sauté diced anchovies (and garlic) in EVOO when starting the puttanesca I make. Sometimes I use paste, but I'd just as soon use the little fishies. They don't seem to splatter as much as the paste and are easier to get around here.

This is quite an excellent suggestion but if you sautee the anchovies in the evoo until they are fully dissolved this makes an excellent dressing for freshly roasted bell peppers, too.

A friend of mine cooked dinner for me recently, linguine with garlic, lemon, anchovies, pine nuts and coriander. Was amazing and all you have to cook is the linguine. Can really be done using any herbs you prefer. Just pound the ingredients together in a pestle and mortar.

I use the paste mostly. The main thing I use it for besides salad dressings is Tepanade.

1 can black olives
1 jar Calamata olives
1/3 tsp granulated garlic (I prefer it to fresh in this)
Healthy squirt of Anchovie paste
1 tsp capers
1 tsp lemon juice
Black Pepper
Olive oil

Pulse everything together in a FP while adding Olive Oil until you get the consistancy you like.

My MIL love this on cucumber rounds so I serve them along with bread and/or crackers.The Black olives mellow it out a little and are non-traditional.

Also good on white fish as a coating before baking.

Last edited:
Jansson's Temptation

30g can anchovy fillets in olive oil
25g butter
2 medium onions, very finely sliced
4 medium, waxy potatoes (about 800g), thinly sliced
284ml carton double cream, made up to 300ml with milk

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Drain the anchovies, reserving their oil. Gently heat half the butter in a saucepan and stir in the anchovy oil as it melts. Add the onions and fry over a low heat until they are very sweet – don’t let them brown. This should take a good 20 minutes. Once cooked, set aside.
2. Smear a deep, 1.25-litre baking dish with the remaining butter and arrange half of the potatoes in the base. Pour over the onions and arrange 12 anchovies on top. Add the remaining potatoes and half the cream. Season lightly and bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining cream and bake for another 25 minutes, until golden and the potatoes are very tender. Serve immediately with grilled lamb chops or a good steak.

Gentlemans Relish

150 g butter
2 blades mace
pinches cayenne pepper
pinches freshly grated nutmeg
1 tins anchovy fillets, drained and mashed roughly

1. Put the butter, mace, cayenne pepper and a little grated nutmeg into a medium-sized pan and melt over a gentle heat.

2. Add the anchovies and stir for a couple of minutes until they have melted, but don't let the mixture boil.

3. Fish out the blades of mace and pour the relish into a ramekin. Put in the fridge to set.

with the risk of being to simple: i had a small pepperoni pizza, frozen. i opened a can of anchovies and laid them on the pizza. wonderful and took it out of the mundane.

I put anchovie paste in my homemade salad dressing and whole fillets on the salad.

And on Greek salad

img_1045834_0_15abb9b26d0ade3fad070ed240d58858.jpg

i just remembered another good use. anchovy stuffed pickled hot cherry peppers. i'll be making a batch this week using some pickled, some fresh hot cherry peppers.

mix a good squirt of anchovy paste with some toasted seasoned breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, dried basil, oregano, and parsley) and a bit of olive oil to form a sort of paste, core the pickled hot cherry peppers, and stuff the peppers with the paste. put stuffed peppers in a bowl and cover with extra virgin olive oil.

serve with crusty italian bread, dipping the bread in the oil as you eat the peppers.

i just remembered another good use. anchovy stuffed pickled hot cherry peppers. i'll be making a batch this week using some pickled, some fresh hot cherry peppers.

mix a good squirt of anchovy paste with some toasted seasoned breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, dried basil, oregano, and parsley) and a bit of olive oil to form a sort of paste, core the pickled hot cherry peppers, and stuff the peppers with the paste. put stuffed peppers in a bowl and cover with extra virgin olive oil.

serve with crusty italian bread, dipping the bread in the oil as you eat the peppers.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That sounds good!!

What brand store bought pickeld peppers would you suggest? Or I can just stop by your house .......... :angel: :LOL:

c'mon over. you can help me move stuff around in the drying basement... :)

i have a jar of b&g brand, and some left from last year's garden crop that i pickled.

i haven't been back in the garden for a few days, but i can see lots of peppers to pick from the kitchen window for the fresh ones.

a lot of italian delis around us have stuffed cherry peppers, but often they're stuffed with prosciutto and provolone or mozzarella. the anchovy/breadcrumb paste ones are harder to find. mucci's in saddle brook started carrying them, but they're ridiculous at 50 cents each for small peppers.

c'mon over. you can help me move stuff around in the drying basement... :)

i have a jar of b&g brand, and some left from last year's garden crop that i pickled.

i haven't been back in the garden for a few days, but i can see lots of peppers to pick from the kitchen window for the fresh ones.

a lot of italian delis around us have stuffed cherry peppers, but often they're stuffed with prosciutto and provolone or mozzarella. the anchovy/breadcrumb paste ones are harder to find. mucci's in saddle brook started carrying them, but they're ridiculous at 50 cents each for small peppers.
Mucci's? Are they on Market st?

and some left from last year's garden crop that i pickled.

Will you pick a peck Peter? :LOL:

yup, about a half mile west of main steet. over the hill from the saddle brook p.d..

and yes, call me peter.
LOL I used to work on market street across from burger king (and the old A&P). We used to eat lunch at Gleason's (they had THE best chili back then but it's gone now). Used to go to Saddle Brook diner on friday night/saturday morning after we closed down "Someplace Else" bar on Main Street in Lodi (also closed). I will have to go check out Mucci's for anchovie stuffed pickled peppers.

Last edited:
wow, i remember all of those places, especially gleason's. we used to go there, then finish up the night at the mouse trap (also gone).

if you've watched "boardwalk empire" on hbo, the guy that plays deputy halloran, adam mucci, often works weekends there. really nice guy, and nice family that owns the place.

getting back to anchovies, they have a giant tin of imported italian anchovies on the counter, and also ones packed in salt instead of olive oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom