Ideas for beautiful figs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
For a present this year I received 1 lb of dry figs. They are pliable, and big (close to golf ball size). Cut open they have the lovely tan outside, and inside the darker seeded area.
Any ideas of how to use them to make the most of them?

I would make a fig paste or jam similar to date paste.

My mind always runs to sweets. I would probably make fig bars, cookies, etc..

Here are a couple ideas.

I had bought a fig tree just before I moved. Unfortunately it did not survive. But at barely 3 ft tall (including pot) it still managed, during it's short life, to give me 3 figs.
Seriously thinking to get another but not sure I can look after it during the winters. I was thinking of gifting a niece here. She has a great green thumb and the space.

Yeah, hard to beat a good fig bar.

Recently I've been making vegetable samosa with a tamarind and fig dipping sauce. But any type of cake or cookie recipe works. I like oatmeal and fig cookies almost as much as I like fig bars. I've made some pretty good jams with figs over the years as well. I suspect there's a few decent vegan cheeses that would go with figs, but goat and blue cheese for the rest of us is a match made in heaven imo.

Last edited:
For a present this year I received 1 lb of dry figs. They are pliable, and big (close to golf ball size). Cut open they have the lovely tan outside, and inside the darker seeded area.
Any ideas of how to use them to make the most of them?

I like "munching" dried figs as a snack, I eat those instead of reaching out for an unhealthy chocolate bar😁, like I used to.

I had bought a fig tree just before I moved. Unfortunately it did not survive. But at barely 3 ft tall (including pot) it still managed, during it's short life, to give me 3 figs.
Seriously thinking to get another but not sure I can look after it during the winters. I was thinking of gifting a niece here. She has a great green thumb and the space.

Fig trees are indigenous trees down here in our Mediterranean climate. We have three enormous trees on our land, over 30 years old. One is probably 50. They don't need any special care, just some pruning. We don't eat them much, though (I prefer dried figs but haven't got the patience, neither the height to pick them anyway). You need a ladder, but the land is slopy and difficult to stabilise a ladder safely, so I just pick the ones on low branches and take some to my 90 yr-old dad who loves them. They should be gathered as soon as they are ripe, and if you are not quick enough, the wasps eat them all up, or they rot, or the wind makes them fall to the ground and end up squashed, not good for eating😕.
I wouldn't know how to look after a fig tree in colder climates, maybe in a greenhouse, or keeping it covered in the Winter. You can keep it inside in a pot when it's small, but these trees grow immensely and will eventually need to be replanted outside on the land or in the garden, if either is possible for you.
Good luck.

Fig bars seems to be a very popular choice so that is what I'm making!
I wasn't inspired by the domain name of glitter and glue, but the recipe looks pretty good so I'm trying it.

For the crust​

• 2 cups quick oats the kind that cooks in one minute (used thick cut and used a food processor)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup flax meal
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup tahini or nut butter (walnuts)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon water

For the fig filling​

• 14 ounces dried mission figs stems removed
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons water
I'll let you know!

figbarsonions-002.jpg

figbarsonions-009.jpg

They are good, lemon zest would be a good addition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom