"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #11
Master Chef
I remembered! Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this sooner, but I did want to get back with the info I promised Cats, HTC and others about gluten content, etc. in flours. My resource for this is Baking Illustrated. Again, it's a cumbersome book, but it's useful! :D

First, some basic definitions and info:

AP flour usually has a high protein content, usually, on average, between 10 and 12 percent. Cooks Illustrated tested 9 different kinds of AP flour and found that they acted according to the basic principles of protein content. The ones with a higher content yielded heavier, denser biscuits in their tests than the lower-content, and the lower-protein flours spread more in tests of cookies and muffins. Flavors were fine. However, in a taste test, the four bleached flours did not perform as well as the unbleached and were criticized for tasting "flat, off, or metallic." This wasn't as detectable in recipes that contained a large percentage of ingredients other than flour. Overall, King Arthur and Pillsbury ranked the highest.

Bread flour is a flour with a protein content above 12%. On the opposite end, cake flour is very low in protein, about 6-8%. This ensures a a delicate, fine-crumb in the product. Whole-wheat flour uses the whole wheat berry--outer bran layer, germ, and the endosperm. White is usually just the endosperm. The germ is perishable so wheat flour doesn't store as well. Cooks Illustrated says that if you don't plan to use an entire package of wheat flour within a month, it should be stored in the freezer.

Here is the ranking I promised you of unbleached AP flours by protein content. Some recipes call for a specific level of protein (higher vs lower)--this can help you choose your flour accordingly. Like I said before, I usually always use King Arthur.

Protein Content of Unbleached AP Flours
King Arthur 11.7%
Heckers/Ceresota 11.5--11.9%
Hodgson Mill 11%
Gold Metal 10.5%
Pillsbury 10.5%

Next time I need to stock up on flour, I might try Pillsbury just to compare results vs King Arthur.

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #12
Head Chef
Wow, that info was really interesting PA Baker! Thanks for posting this!

I always use whole wheat flour and have never heard that I should freeze it! I will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

It seems like there is SO much technical information to baking. I'm a novice home baker and so this forum has been a wonderful educational tool.

Thanks again all! :D

htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by htc
Wow, that info was really interesting PA Baker! Thanks for posting this!
Me, too. Many thanks, PABaker. (I posted a thank-you awhile ago, but it has vanished into the cybersphere.)

Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #14
Senior Cook
I may be a minority in this opinion, but I don't like the taste of King Arthurs flour. At least, not their bread flour. I haven't tried their all purpose.

I also might be in the minority in this area as well, but I'm not a big fan of all purpose flour. All purpose flour is a compromise that, in the long run, yields compromised results. I reach for the right tool for the job. Pies, cookies, cakes, dumplings, biscuits, gravy - unbleached pastry flour gives you the best results. Bread - bread flour. Pasta - semolina flour. I obtain both by bread and my pastry flour from a local bakery. Commercial flour is about a thousand times better than supermarket fare. I get my yeast from bakeries as well. Again, far superior.

My best tip for comparing different brands of flours is to smell them side by side. Also, take a tiny pinch of each and taste them. Their inadequecies are usually quite evident when compared in this fashion.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
Head Chef
Scott, you mean just taste the flour right out of the bag? Man, I never thought of doing this! And yet it seems so simple.

I figured the only way I could compare flours is to bake a batch of something using the exact same recipe but with a different flour.

I like the idea of buying the flour from a local bakery. We have one that sells flour (come to think of it), and yet I always forget that this is an option.
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Htc, your sense of smell will tell you more, but a very very small taste is a good second line of defense. Raw flour isn't the most pleasant taste in the world, but if it's of good quality, it won't be that gross in a small amount. It takes a little practise. It really helps to have a good flour next to a bad one. The wide disparity helps to train your palate as to what good flour should taste like.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
You guys know your flour! But I have a question. I have a prospective customer that is mixing 3 flours for his pizza dough. Sir Lancelot, Bouncer and Winona, unfortunately I don't know the exact ratios but the King Arthur makes up the bulk of it. Does anybody know what other flours or flour types could be subbed for the Winona and Bouncer as we don't stock them. Could an AP and maybe Pillsbury 4X or something like that work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah his crust is not exactly thin but it does have a bit of crisp to it and he bakes it on a screen, thanx
sales rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #18
Master Chef
I use Honeyvillegrain flours , unbleached AP and bread flours Wholesale Ingredients to the Food Service Industry, Honeyville Food Products. Premium Corn, Flour, Whole Grains, Sugar and more.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
We've recently switched at work to Bouncer and found no difference between that and the others we use. (this is for bagels)
We do not use unbleached, the bagels look sickly that way.
Here's the rub, I can't remember at this moment what the other was we switched from.
HTH. probably not.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote