"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
Head Chef

Me, too! I'm right behind you, Psiguyy!

Thanks, Marge!!!!!

Old 12-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
DC Grandma

Be sure and come back and tell us if you liked it...I say with all fingers crossed.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:18 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Well, I got the stuff. I'll put it together later tonight and let ya all know.

I have a lot of baking to do. I'm way behind schedule. Haven't felt like doing much because I hurt my food really bad. Got a real deep injury that didn't break the skin, but caused a lot of tissue damage underneath. I now have a really ugly wound, now that the skin peeled off. Using lots of hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment two or three times a day to keep it clean.

The swelling has finally disappeared and I can keep my weight on the foot.

BTW, funny thing happened when I went for the crackers. Haven't bought saltines in years. I don't think I've eaten a saltine in over 10 years. Anyway, I stood at the shelf looking at the boxes of saltines wondering if I was supposed to buy unsalted saltines. I looked for unsalted and didn't find any, then it struck me. A saltine wouldn't be called a saltine if it didn't have salt.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
Sous Chef

OK. I made this last night and wasn't happy with the results. My thinking is the butter/sugar mix needs to be cooked longer.

I brought it to a slow boil like the instructions say. I kept stirring it until it formed a homogenous mix. Poured over the crackers and baked.

The crackers still looked like crackers and ended up tasting like sweet crackers with chocolate. They were kind of chewy instead of crispy.

Not sure if I should have baked it longer (I baked for the full 10 minutes) or if I should have cooked the sugar longer. The sugar part looked butter yellow.

How long do you cook the sugar/butter mix?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #15
Head Chef

here's a similar recipe I got from a coworker. I tried hers and they were really good, very addictive...

1 sleeve saltine crackers .
2 sticks butter
1c white sugar (brown sugar will create a strong heath toffee bar flavor)
salt (sea salt works best)
large handful of chocolate chips (milk, dark or white)
handful of chopped walnuts or pecans

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. cover with saltine crackers, break to fit if necessary. melt butter in small saucepan; add sugar and boil for two minute. pour over crackers. bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes. (watch carefully and take out when butter/sugar mixture deepens in color) removes from oven, sprinkle tops liberally with salt and then chocolate chips over crackers, top with nuts and push into chocolate. put in fridge for 1 hour, break into pieces.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #16
DC Grandma

Mine and yours would taste the same..the sleeve of crackers has about 37 crackers so to place 40 comes out 8 across and 5 down..just evens it up. everyone who has tried then always asks for the recipe and is very surprised when I say that it is made from crackers..No one I know has ever said they didn't like it..we think it is a great substitute for the real thing.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #17
DC Grandma

Middie,
Did you bake with your son's help over the week end?

Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Did anyone try the recipe I posted? It is quite good, easy, and there are not crackers involved!
Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 AM   #19
Head Chef

I just tried the recipe I posted earlier. Man is it good. I did change it up a tad. instead of using all white or brown sugar, I used half of each, and I topped it with walnuts and white chocolate chips. One thing I did find was that the white chocolate chips didn't melt as well as I thought it would have. I put in on the top rack for several minutes (I had something else baking in the middle rack). When I took it out to spread, it wasnt as smooth as I would have liked.

Next time, I might try melting the chocolate in a pan and then just spreading it on afterwards. I think this will make it much more even.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #20
Cook

Ha ha! I seriously love this place... The other day a group from our church came caroling and had a plate of goodies and had these toffee bar things that I told my wife I thought it was a saltine cracker in the middle and she didn't believe me, so I come in here and search for saltine and find this! They were so stinkin good I'm excited to try out these recipes!

Tags
None