"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 AM   #11
Senior Cook

call Atomic Jed! (he will look up a recipe!) I going to, Right Now! let me put this guitar down, and go to my bookshelf. A.J.!

Old 02-08-2004, 05:54 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Well, my cookbooks say for a "lipid" or fat in leiu of "Crisco"etc. to use margarine, or butter. hope I helped! Atomic Jed!

Old 02-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Thanks Jeddikins, but unfotunately, butter and margarine don't work as a substitute for this strange Ozzie ingredient Copha, it needs to be a white fat, and there is just nothing else in the world like it.

Chocolate crackles and white christmas just don't work with marj or butter, I've tried. They need the "drier" sort of fat. When Copha is melted and then sets again, it has a completely different consistency to butter.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Jaye Send a message via AIM to Jaye Send a message via MSN to Jaye Send a message via Yahoo to Jaye
Chocolate is really hard..

I learned from this that chocolate is hard. (unless I move to a different country of course).

Well, I'll see if I can't find something else to interest me for a while.

Hmmm... other candies.

-j
Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Jaye Send a message via AIM to Jaye Send a message via MSN to Jaye Send a message via Yahoo to Jaye
That's pretty cool

sweet
Old 02-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I would take kyles advice and learn how to work with good quality cooking chocolate.

Although the woman in Chocolat might have worked a little with actual cacao beans, ultimately she was more of a Chocolatier, making creations from chocolate, rather than making chocolate itself.

Technically speaking, chocolate is cocoa, sugar, and cocoa butter. Replacing the cocoa butter with coconut oil will give you something similar. Both of these cocoa based creations are pretty poor substitutes for the real thing, though.

If you have the time, learn to make a good ganache or a good truffle. Nothing is more magical or romantic. Nothing is more in the spirit of a film like Chocolat.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

J
Old 03-31-2004, 01:08 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

hi first time here, re chocolate, just rec a batch of pupiers` chocolate de coverture, perhaps its just me, however I am having a hard time finding a recipe for moulding and sculpting, I need to have it pliable to produce flowers , leaves etc......any ideas?
Old 04-03-2004, 08:57 AM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
On the topic of couveture chocolate, to make it pliable it needs tempering. I am hopeless at this And suggest you try looking on the net for instructions on how to temper chocolate. You MUST get a sugar/candy themometer for this. The teperatures must be accurate or you will have an expensive, sitcky mess. Better still, find a class on chocolate making, as I think tempering is one of those things best learnt from a professional. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #20
Senior Cook

These are the best likes I've been able to find on tempering:

http://www.vantagehouse.com/customer...ing_how_to.htm
http://www.scharffenberger.com/library/tempering.htm
http://www.chocolatier-electro.com/english/whatis2.htm
http://www.grenadachocolate.com/tour/temper.html

Tags
None