"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Looking for pumpkin/squash dessert recipe

Hi. I hope someone can direct me to a recipe for a pumpkin/winter squash recipe similar to pumpkin pie but without the crust. I hate making crusts and it's just more saturated fat. So, basically, it's just a pumpkin pudding I want.

Would I simply put the sweetened and spiced mixture into a cooking dish and cook as for a pumpkin pie?

I have a whole load of nice squash from my garden and have to do something with it.

Gracias.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Master Chef

I do that using the pumpkin pie filling recipe and put it in a buttered casserole dish instead of a pie shell. Bake approx. the same time and test with a knife to see if it comes out clean. You can also bake it in a water bath but, I don't bother. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I do that using the pumpkin pie filling recipe and put it in a buttered casserole dish instead of a pie shell. Bake approx. the same time and test with a knife to see if it comes out clean. You can also bake it in a water bath but, I don't bother. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Aunt Bea beat me to it. I always make a crustless "pie" at thanksgiving since my niece can't have the gluten in the crust. I put hers in a custard cup that been buttered and bake it right along with the pies. Of course hers gets done fast but it always comes out fine.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yup, it's a pumpkin custard. My favorite, I like it better than making pies.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Boy, all these replies and so fast. What a neat place this is. Thanks, kids!

So I am not the only one who wants to avoid crusts for one reason or another!

I think that a water bath would be helpful, tho, to prevent burning.

Here in Canada, Thanksgiving is in October, not November, so already I have to start "worrying" about what to serve!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have a Pumpkin appetizer recipe that you dunk sliced apples and pears (fall fruit) in. That would make a light, healthy dessert also (I think so). I will post if you are interested.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Patty, I am interested in the recipe for your Appetizer with fall fruit. Tks!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Patty, I am interested in the recipe for your Appetizer with fall fruit. Tks!

Ok, I just posted it here: Spicy Pumpkin Dip
Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Cook

My mom makes pumpkin pie without the crust all the time. It is delicious!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

You can also sprinkle a crumb topping on top of the custard, as for an apple crisp, or even like you would make for a dutch apple pie. That gives your mouth some extra texture to play with. I love both the crustless desert, and the pie. I have no issues with making pie crust and so usually make both.

Another thing you can do with the pie filling, before it's baked, is to add flour and baking powder to the mix and make waffles out of it. I've done that and the waffles are spectacular. Serve them with some vanilla ice cream on top.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert, recipe

Looking for pumpkin/squash dessert recipe Hi. I hope someone can direct me to a recipe for a pumpkin/winter squash recipe similar to pumpkin pie but without the crust. I hate making crusts and it's just more saturated fat. So, basically, it's just a [B]pumpkin pudding[/B] I want. Would I simply put the sweetened and spiced mixture into a cooking dish and cook as for a pumpkin pie? I have a whole load of nice squash from my garden and have to do something with it. Gracias. 3 stars 1 reviews