What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just cooking, I can report that corn bread bowls are now a thing and also sponge cake bowls , these didnt get fluffy, but brittle like waffle cones and the taste is amazing. If I just figured out the cornbread bowls when I was doing a chili instead of corn bread for the freezer. Oh well next time.

Just cooking, I can report that corn bread bowls are now a thing and also sponge cake bowls , these didnt get fluffy, but brittle like waffle cones and the taste is amazing. If I just figured out the cornbread bowls when I was doing a chili instead of corn bread for the freezer. Oh well next time.

I'm amazed with the new things I learn about food...

Thanks CakePoet.. :)

Ross

Well I am just testing just for fun... hrm I wonder what happens if I use my bread dough in it.

Individual bread puddings came out fine.. Drooped a little but, more room for whipped cream... :yum:

Ross

Hope I don't get slapped for asking a related question here but...( Looks around the forum.. :ermm: )

As said above, my puddings drooped when cooled.. Not a big deal but, they came out of the oven all puffed up and pretty.. Is there something I failed to do which would have made them stay puffed up?

Ross

Addie... After 20 years of using a flip phone, my wife and I bought 2 inexpensive ($40 each) AT&T Alcatel Ideal android phones... We are learning how to use them and are pleased to finally do more than 'hello, goodbye'...

The good people here have already solved problems for me... :)

Poo has an android phone and yesterday he tried to teach me how to answer his phone. When he did it, it looked simple. So he used my phone to call his and I did try to answer it. But I ended up hanging up. I was saying hello to a dead phone. He couldn't stop laughing. I gave up. It should be simple. I know that. But my brain is in a rattle with all the little beads being shaken up all the time. The kids told me if I can learn to use Poo's phone they will buy me a phone like his and even pay for my phone bill and then I can give up the free phone. I have to think on that. Do I really need to go that route. I haven't made a phone call in the past three days. And it has been more than a week since I got a call. Nor do I walk around all day with my head down texting to every single person I know. Folks who know me, know I have brown eyes.

There is smart phones for seniors here in Sweden, check up if it exist in USA. They are simpler and also done for shaking hands

Hope I don't get slapped for asking a related question here but...( Looks around the forum.. :ermm: )

As said above, my puddings drooped when cooled.. Not a big deal but, they came out of the oven all puffed up and pretty.. Is there something I failed to do which would have made them stay puffed up?

Ross

Separate the eggs, whip the whites to stiff peaks and fold gently into the other mixed ingredients at the very last. This should help your puddings stay puffy.

Poo has an android phone and yesterday he tried to teach me how to answer his phone. When he did it, it looked simple. So he used my phone to call his and I did try to answer it. But I ended up hanging up. I was saying hello to a dead phone. He couldn't stop laughing. I gave up. It should be simple. I know that. But my brain is in a rattle with all the little beads being shaken up all the time. The kids told me if I can learn to use Poo's phone they will buy me a phone like his and even pay for my phone bill and then I can give up the free phone. I have to think on that. Do I really need to go that route. I haven't made a phone call in the past three days. And it has been more than a week since I got a call. Nor do I walk around all day with my head down texting to every single person I know. Folks who know me, know I have brown eyes.

I understand your hesitation... Takes a while for we older folks to get used to new tech stuff.. One thing I am doing now that I didn't before is texting and sending photos to my daughter in Missouri... We are getting used to the phones now and seem to be using them more.. Email used to be a big deal but, I find that my child and Jeannie's children seem to be more in contact with us now that we don't have to do the computer email thing..

Last edited:
I've been having a density problem with cakes... Found a recipe for a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache topping that the blogger guaranteed would come out fluffy and moist..

She didn't fib... Best cake I've baked in my new hobby of desserts for two... :yum: The recipe is for a small sheet cake but perfectly filled two 6" cake pans...

Next is doing another bread pudding using tip from PrincessFiona60 to whip and fold in egg whites to keep the pudding fluffy...

I've been having a density problem with cakes... Found a recipe for a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache topping that the blogger guaranteed would come out fluffy and moist..

She didn't fib... Best cake I've baked in my new hobby of desserts for two... :yum: The recipe is for a small sheet cake but perfectly filled two 6" cake pans...

Next is doing another bread pudding using tip from PrincessFiona60 to whip and fold in egg whites to keep the pudding fluffy...

Photos, photos please?!

This is after we had a slice... To me, single layer cakes just don't seem as photogenic as double or triple layer cakes... This does show how moist and fluffy it is tho..

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 129
This is after we had a slice... To me, single layer cakes just don't seem as photogenic as double or triple layer cakes... This does show how moist and fluffy it is tho..

oh my!
1) recipe please
2) have you ever tried marco or close up shots?
(well, I also have under cabinet lights that lite the food a bit better, IMHO)
upside down cake.jpg

CAKE!!!

oh my!
1) recipe please
2) have you ever tried marco or close up shots?
(well, I also have under cabinet lights that lite the food a bit better, IMHO)
View attachment 26575

CAKE!!!

Thank you...

After posting the picture, I realized that the poor quality of the photo is due to the lack of skills of the photo taker... I have an under counter light but I just can't seem to get an angle out of shadow..I was too lazy to edit post to point that out.. :LOL: I will work on that.. :)

The recipe is at her blog:

https://www.averiecooks.com/2012/08/chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-ganache.html

Last edited:

I disagree. A lot of the presentation 'punch' has to do with the serving dish and
I prefer one layer cakes because I'm not an icing fan

Here are some things you might do to improve the visual ..

Make sure your platter has no outside lip - completely flat. This makes the cake look taller.

Find a nice cake platter (vintage shops are great for this) that has a little height. My favorite is this pressed 'depression glass" cake plate - they were popular up through the 60s and not very expensive- you can find them in a variety of colors and usually for around $10.00

cake plate.jpg
Here's a single layer cake on that platter

gingercake3.jpg

I disagree. A lot of the presentation 'punch' has to do with the serving dish and I prefer one layer cakes because I'm not an icing fan

Here are some things you might do to improve the visual ..

Make sure your platter has no outside lip - completely flat. This makes the cake look taller.

Find a nice cake platter (vintage shops are great for this) that has a little height. My favorite is this pressed 'depression glass" cake plate - they were popular up through the 60s and not very expensive- you can find them in a variety of colors and usually for around $10.00

View attachment 26577
Here's a single layer cake on that platter

View attachment 26578

Totally agree. My grandmother gave me a clear cut-glass pedestal cake plate and I love it. I've seen pedestal cake plates that resemble Depression-era ones like the one in your photo at TJ Maxx for a good price.
0405171729a_HDR.jpg

Totally agree. My grandmother gave me a clear cut-glass pedestal cake plate and I love it. I've seen pedestal cake plates that resemble Depression-era ones like the one in your photo at TJ Maxx for a good price.
View attachment 26579

That cake plate is stunning, GG! I have a pedestal cake plate that was my grandmother's, too. I'll get it out of the curio cabinet and post a pic of it later this afternoon after my grandson gets picked up. :ermm::)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom