Brownies from a cake mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moosetoo

Assistant Cook
Has anyone tried making brownies using a cake mix? I tried a white cake mix and just added 3 eggs and 3/4 cup of oil and stirred in raspberry chocolate chunks. I used a 9 x 13 pan which was lined with waxed paper. The result was very good, but not quite brownie consistency. Any suggestions?

Look for the book, 'Cake Mix Doctor' or something like that. She's got a lot of recipes for converting mixes into cookies and bars.

I personally don't think you're going to come up with anything that's truly like a real brownie with a mix. The magic of brownies is all that butter and sugar. It's really not that hard to make 'scratch' brownies. IMNSHO, by the time you take a cake mix and alter it to make cookies or brownies, you're essentially using all the steps you would to make a scratch recipe - so why not 'start from scratch' and get a truly divine brownie?!:)

I got a great buy on cake mixes and thought I'd experiment with different uses for them. Cakes last too long in a household of 2 and with brownies and muffins I can always freeze some for later. Thanks for the book suggestion, I will look for that one.

off topic*** but if you are looking for a really good brownie mix, try Hershey's Triple chocolate chunk brownie mix. They are the best box mix brownies I have ever tried.

I have to agree with marmalady. I suppose there are all sorts of ways to doctor up a brownie mix, but why bother? The brownie recipe I (mostly) use is Katherine Hepburn's . . . essentially, on the stove in a kettle, melt a stick of butter together with 3 squares baking chocolate, add a cup of sugar, an egg, 1/4 - 1/3 cup flour :)lol:depending on how gooey you like your brownies), salt and vanilla. The lengthiest part of the process is waiting for the stove to reach 325 degrees. Scratch beats a mix any day!! :chef:

Dakota Rose

Very interesting

That's very interesting.. i never used a cake mix for brownies.

I love making brownies, but with brownie mix being on sale at $1 per, I've made some boxed ones lately. (I just add extra ingreds to make it mine)

RMS said:
off topic*** but if you are looking for a really good brownie mix, try Hershey's Triple chocolate chunk brownie mix. They are the best box mix brownies I have ever tried.

I see your box of brownie mix and raise you one box of Ghiradelli Chocolate Syrup Brownie Mix. Now that is the best brownie from a box that you can have.

And I'll raise your Ghiradelli to Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) brownie mix. I acted totally on a whim, and spent the totally, totally outrageous price of $11.50:eek: for the mix, just because I had to see if it was worth it. Well - it was good - but still not as good as my own homemade!

Back
Top Bottom