New diet, craving bakery, any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My parents are both, Type II Diabetics, so is Shrek, my husband. I am an RN and I take care of Diabetics.

My advice: Portion sizes, watch those. Cut back on carbs, but don't cut them out, it just makes you want them more. Make sure you keep your doctor appointment and if the doctor does not suggest a consult with a dietician, you suggest he make the referral. If the doctor refers, insurance pays.

We all want to help, but when it comes to an initial diagnosis...you really need to talk to your doctor first!

Thank you for all the helpful information. I do have a doc. appt. on the 23rd. I'm trying to at least have a couple of weeks to get jump started. It's been a few years since my last physical so I will take heed to whatever the doctor recomends.
I wish you well for the 23rd:)

go to splenda.com. many wonderful recipes without sugar.

Thanks! My spouse made me a wonderfull banana bread tonight with splenda. After not eating any good bakery for 5 days it was a real treat.

Thanks! My spouse made me a wonderfull banana bread tonight with splenda. After not eating any good bakery for 5 days it was a real treat.

Don't go nuts with the Splenda, it has a side effect of "gotta go lots" if you eat lots of it.

only if you eat too much banana bread at one time. now those diabetic bars are a different story.:LOL:

Shrek and I went overboard when Splenda came out...it wasn't pretty with only one bathroom and just getting to work was an adventure.:LOL:

I was recently diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic'. I think being pre-diabetic is like being 'a little bit pregnant' -- it just means that the disease hasn't progressed far enough to be considered diabetic.

I got a blood glucose monitor, and I 'eat to my monitor'--did a lot of testing at first, and figured out what made my sugar spike. For me, it is grain--and sugar, of course, but I am not a big sweets eater.

I eat meat, eggs and lots of low carb veggies, and I don't skimp on the butter or salad dressing. I pretty much avoid any grains, or eat them in tiny (compared to what I used to eat) portions. If I get a craving for sweets, I eat some no sugar yogurt. I don't eat much packaged stuff, but when I do, I check carb counts on the label.

Low carb veggies would be asparagus, lettuce, cabbage, green beans, celery, cauliflower--there are more, just google.

I need to lose lots, but I am not concentrating on that right now, just on my blood sugar. I have lost 20 pounds since Dec. 1, kind of like a side effect of sugar monitoring.

I was recently diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic'. I think being pre-diabetic is like being 'a little bit pregnant' -- it just means that the disease hasn't progressed far enough to be considered diabetic.

The difference between prediabetes and diabetes is that prediabetes is reversible.

I got a blood glucose monitor, and I 'eat to my monitor'--did a lot of testing at first, and figured out what made my sugar spike. For me, it is grain--and sugar, of course, but I am not a big sweets eater.

I eat meat, eggs and lots of low carb veggies, and I don't skimp on the butter or salad dressing. I pretty much avoid any grains, or eat them in tiny (compared to what I used to eat) portions. If I get a craving for sweets, I eat some no sugar yogurt. I don't eat much packaged stuff, but when I do, I check carb counts on the label.

Low carb veggies would be asparagus, lettuce, cabbage, green beans, celery, cauliflower--there are more, just google.

I need to lose lots, but I am not concentrating on that right now, just on my blood sugar. I have lost 20 pounds since Dec. 1, kind of like a side effect of sugar monitoring.
Congratulations on your weight loss! I have alot of weight to lose also. I feel like I need to get some of the weight off before I get back on the eliptical machine. It's a lifelong challenge.

I think I am borderline type 2 diabetes. My doctor's appt. is on the 23rd. I have a big family history of it. I have all the symptoms & have alot of weight to lose. Being in this business makes it tough. My husband & I have a small bakery/cafe & catering business. It's tough to make time for exercise but I'm trying.
I want to really concentrate on cutting carb.'s & sugars. I want to deter any health problems with diet & exercise. It's really challenging.
Thanks ahead of time for any input.
I think your problem is your business, your eyes are always seeing fresh, hot bakery. So this is what is making you wanting a piece of this and that. So maybe if you try to drink more water and promise yourself that if you go on your diet properly till the end of the week, you'll get a piece of what you want at the weekend. I am trying this for 4 weeks now (as I am a great fan of donuts) and by the weekend I go to krispy kreme and enjoy a nice piece of donut.

I think your problem is your business, your eyes are always seeing fresh, hot bakery. So this is what is making you wanting a piece of this and that. So maybe if you try to drink more water and promise yourself that if you go on your diet properly till the end of the week, you'll get a piece of what you want at the weekend. I am trying this for 4 weeks now (as I am a great fan of donuts) and by the weekend I go to krispy kreme and enjoy a nice piece of donut.
Sounds like a great tip but it's so hard to stop at just one piece. I'm terribly addicted to bakery. I'm trying to like fruits & vegetables more.

Sounds like a great tip but it's so hard to stop at just one piece. I'm terribly addicted to bakery. I'm trying to like fruits & vegetables more.
If you google mock apple pie you will no doubt find a recipe for an apple pie made from zuccini. it tastes amazingly like the real thing. You can use spenda for sugar. then all you have to worry about is the crust. Frankly I sometimes make this as an apple crisp so then all I have to worry about is the topping and I try to use oatmeal for most of the topping so I get the whole grain effect. You might enjoy it.

If you google mock apple pie you will no doubt find a recipe for an apple pie made from zuccini. it tastes amazingly like the real thing. You can use spenda for sugar. then all you have to worry about is the crust. Frankly I sometimes make this as an apple crisp so then all I have to worry about is the topping and I try to use oatmeal for most of the topping so I get the whole grain effect. You might enjoy it.

Sounds great, I will try it. Thanks!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom