2018 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pi apple pie.

Attachments

• 20180314_235352.jpg
    20180314_235352.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 147
I watch OH's diet like a hawk, as well as my own. He has diabetes, and neither of us want to get overweight. The next time I bake will be the Simnel Cake for Easter, or if we invite friends for English afternoon tea, when there will be scones and a fairly elaborate cake. I may drool over all the things you make, but I avoid most of it because of the sugar content and calorie load, and I do an English tea only when friends visit.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde - ironic vs. what I've just said!

006.JPG

007.JPG

My baking marathon continues for our community's
Craft & Bake Sale IN ONE WEEK :eek:
(I'm a little behind and need to catch up here!)

Above are Hershey's Very Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
(HEH! I just searched the WWW and I guess Hershey's took this recipe down! If you want it, I can give it to you.)
These are VERY VERY chocolate cookies!!
Now, I'm not a chocolate fan, but they are quite good.

edit: I forgot to say that I let my little whiner 10 year boy have a dozen or so cookies :D

Last edited:
Good luck at your bake sale K-girl, though I'm sure you won't need it.

I made a Tres Leches cake yesterday.

full

Good luck at your bake sale K-girl, though I'm sure you won't need it.

I made a Tres Leches cake yesterday.

full

YUM!
Med, I've never this cake before, but have heard so much about it.
My chef-y gal-pal who owns a restaurant in Colorado, makes this all the time
for the evening service and always sells out. :yum:

Oh, and MAHALO!! (thanks) I'll report back on the Bake Sale, I hope I'm organized, I tend NOT to be :huh:

Grape stuffed focaccia. I couldn't wait for dinner.

Attachments

• 2018-03-24 15.59.35.jpg
    2018-03-24 15.59.35.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 117
med, that focaccia looks great!

004.JPG

This is about half of what I've made for the Craft & Bake Sale!
Add into the mix:
Fudgy Brownies
Rocky Road Brownies
Salted Caramel Brownies
GF Chocolate Chip Cookies
Triple Berry Jam
Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Blackberry Jam
Handmade Peppermint Patties (quantity 10 pcks of 4-sold out in 1 hour)
Chai Tea Mix in a Jar

007.JPG

I think my table looked pretty good.

Some things didn't sell and I think that's because they weren't displayed properly...

At one point in the day, a coupla folks came over and said that they had been at another Craft Sale in town and folks were talking about the lady in the corner of the room at the other sale who was selling Rum Cakes and that they just had to come over to get some.

I made twice as many cakes as I did for the Fall Sale and sold them for $2 more!!!

DH is a genius!
I had two cakes that didn't want to cooperate and STUCK in the bundt pan... I was going to pitch them and he pipes up, "HEH! Give them away as samples! Folks will love it"... they did!
I took these uber cute Dixie Cups with inspirational says on them along with tiny plastic appetizer forks from the Dollar Store all served up on a cute charger from Hobby Lobby ... all so adorable! I gave away ONE HUNDRED bite-sized samples and sold out all of my cakes in TWO HOURS!!!
I was smart enough to bring along a small trash can with extra bags to take care of the waste, no fuss, no muss. Break down was a breeze.

Made a loaf of yogurt rye bread to go with tonight's dinner. This recipe tastes a lot like what my taste buds remember from the rye bread my Dad would bring home from work sometimes. So good! I baked it in my new toaster oven. I think I need to lower the temp 25 degrees from the big oven and put a tin foil hat on the loaf a bit sooner.

Attachments

• 20180327_160853.jpg
    20180327_160853.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 138
Made a loaf of yogurt rye bread to go with tonight's dinner. This recipe tastes a lot like what my taste buds remember from the rye bread my Dad would bring home from work sometimes. So good! I baked it in my new toaster oven. I think I need to lower the temp 25 degrees from the big oven and put a tin foil hat on the loaf a bit sooner.

Your bread is afraid of mind readers/aliens?

Beautiful loaf!

Thanks, PF. The more I make bread, the better the loaves look - finally getting the hang of shaping the blob from the bread machine into something that looks homemade. I had to put a "cap" on the loaf because it was getting a sunburn. I guess I should have used a coating of sunscreen on top instead of a rub of olive oil. :cool:

That's a good lookin' loaf od bread from a toaster oven there CG.
Did you use a loaf pan to get that beautiful shape?
DH loves Rye bread.

That first batch was a little flat, so I made them again with a couple tweaks. I added a teaspoon of baking powder and creamed together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. They turned out much better :yum:
View attachment 28833

Creaming the butter and sugar together can make all the difference. The moisture in the butter, with good creaming helps the water escape and puff up the cookies. I cream my butter until it looks almost white.

Pizzagaina (Italian Easter Meat Pie) ready for the oven

meat_pie_unbaked_03314418_3_IMG_3858.jpg

Back
Top Bottom