Any Personal Chefs Out There?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrissyMc

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I am a private chef working for a family. I work for them 3 days a week, but I would like to add 2-3 more days to my scedule. I've been having a hard time finding someone who is willing to take me on for just wednesdays and fridays, which are my available days. I was thinking of offering personal cheffing on those two days. Since I work for an hourly wage at the private job, I was wondering how much to charge for the personal chef job? I've looked up the going rates for hiring a personal chef, and while it seems reasonably priced to me, it may not to the people I am looking to interest. I don't think a lot of people take into account the time spent preparing the food and then cleaning up afterwards. Not only does a chef shop for you, he/she prepares the food and leaves your kitchen cleaner than when they found it(usually, anyway, lol). I think people would be more open to having someone cook for them if they realized just how much they spent on takeout and going to 2 restaurants a week.
I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking here, lol. I think I want to give a fair price, but at the same time, make the potential client realize that hiring a personal chef will cost the same as ordering out and going out.
I live in an urban area (Philadelphia), and the wealthier suburbs are only a few minutes away. So...how do you decide what is a fair price?
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
ChrissyMc

You could try Craigslist to get an idea what other personal chefs are charging and what potential customers are offering. It may be difficult to find a 2-day a week gig.

I have no idea how the Personal Chef job works, but.....

Perhaps you can market yourself as a "I cook you a week's worth of meals in two days" chef? Or two days worth of meals a day?

Do you carry your own personal liability insurance, or are you somehow covered by the family you work for? Possibly the largest expense of getting into the individual "personal chef" workforce is the cost of liability insurance. We're such a lawsuit-happy society now, one has to cover one's backside in case someone becomes ill from something we cooked under a "business" arrangement.

Just for the cooking alone I would say it depends. What do you feel your time is worth? Are you going shopping or compiling a list for your employer to go and purchase? Since you are cooking for a family I am assuming you are making a standard meal of main dish, side, veg possibly desert? Consider all the duties you will be doing along with time spent preparing and planning and go from there. If it were me I would charge an hourly rate.

Compare your rates to what Andy M. suggested (compare to other personal chefs) and if you are slightly higher be prepared to sell your services to give you an "edge". Like GF said a good service to add would be that you could not only prepare the meals for those two nights but put up a meal or two for other nights as well. Just in case you want more of my opinion Breezy has a good point to consider liability insurance. You never know, if someone in the family catches the flu or something they could be quick to blame you.

Personal chefs also offer training to interested clients and or parties. Plan a reasonable series of lessons such as chicken sautes, seafood/fish, soups and stews etc.

Back
Top Bottom