"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Christmas dinner & eggnog..what are you cooking today?

Lou and I woke to a very quiet home today. After a nice brunch of eggs, bacon and cranberry and orange breadpudding (ah, accompanied by two glasses each of eggnog with bourbon)we're about to take a walk to clear the cobwebs.

Then it's back in the kitchen for preparations for Christmas dinner. It's going to be just Lou and I and my daughter, Coco. Ivan is with Blair's family, and my son is with his girlfriend's family. Dinner for 3 will be nice, for a change.

First course is pumpkin soup with amoretti crumbs and sherry swirled cream.

Second course is pesto agnolotti with italian sausage, diced tomato and pignoli nuts.

Dinner is herb crusted rack of lamb chops with roasted beets and parsips.

More tiramisu and gingerbread cake for dessert.

Having a barolo with dinner tonight, and the last bottle of banfi red regale for dessert.

I know there was a whole thread on christmas menus but sometimes menus change the last minute...
What are you having today?

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Sous Chef
We broke from tradition by making lots of finger foods so we can snack all day. The chicken fingers are almost done. Teriyaki pork is next up. We have so many different things its hard to pick.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Head Chef
well ... mini cuban sandwiches .. italian fatty with pizza fixings stuffed in it ..
pigs in a blanket .. to start ..
beef tenderloin .. one marinated in a red wine and mustard thingy ..
one dry rubbed with chipotle and garlic ..
roasted red potatoes .. roasted brussel sprouts .. green beans with bacon in them ..
a salad if i get time .. and my wifes world famous sweet potatoe pie with
pecan topping .. oh . and a ham ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
change of plans for us.

dw and my boy are sick, so they're just staying home, not coming in to the city. that reminds me; i have to cancel our reservations in rockefeller center. hopefully we'll get to the sea grill on new years day since i have to work.

but i did manage to make breakfast: eggs over easy, homefries, bacon, and toast. my homefries sucked, but that what you get when you use canned spuds. too slimy.

lunch is in our cafeteria. i think it's a choice of broiled or fried fish, or prime rib.

for dinner, dw's either making a ham or a kielbasa. i'm kinda leaning kielbasa since she doesn't feel well, and it's easy to do. just boil, then nestle into sauerkraut and sauteed potatoes (not canned!), and bake. yum.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Head Chef
I was planning on Standing Rib Roast. After all the cooking for yesterday, a Turkey and Stuffed Ham Dinner. One of my guest suggested that we just have leftovers today. I just might save that roast for another day. I haven't decided yet. It is 55 degrees here today, I don't want the heat of the oven on again anyway.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Buckytom, I'm sorry your family is sick. The kielbasa and kraut sounds yummy.

I have no idea what we're eating today. We are going to my nephew's house this afternoon for the meal (4:00 pm). We were told "bring beer" so..... there is no telling what we're having! :)

We just ate the leftover burritos and black bean/corn relish from supper last night, yummo.
It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. ~Lewis Grizzard
scoobagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Head Chef
Baked ham, mac salad, potato salad, fried green beans, biscuits.
JustMeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef
dinner was superb tasting, talk about comfort food...

pot roast made with local beef, the only "imported" ingredient was the Penzeys beef base; added onions, shredded sweet potatoes, garlic, s&p

horseradish and garlicked yukon gold mashed potatoes

buttered and peppered sweet corn

whole wheat dinner roll with amish butter

now the boys are upstairs making music
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
lol, i thought i was being nice when i called home to ask dw to make the kielbasa, but she told me that ham is so much easier. just pop it in the oven.

the kielbasa encompasses sweating onions in butter, boiling the kielbasa, peeling and slicing potatoes, then compiling and bakin everything.

but then i heard a little voice in the background that said "i want kielbasa mommy. please?"

majority rules. what can i say...
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef
So sorry your family is sick today, BT. What a rotten day to be under the weather!

I have a couple of pot roasts in the slow-cookers, 15 lbs. of potatoes waiting to be cooked for mashed potatoes & shredded for latkes, fresh green beans blanched for sauteeing later, dough rising for bread, and a pumpkin pie for dessert. The house smells great and the kids are all busy playing with their Christmas goodies and I'm sitting here for a few minutes with a glass of wine. Life is good. (But after reading Vera's menu, it would be better if I was eating at her house tonight!)

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote